PDA

View Full Version : Two questions on remote streaming: Dynamic DNS & Variable bitrate

Nikhil
2008-01-28, 02:07
I have two unrelated questions about remote streaming.

1) If you want to access a remote SlimServer that has a changing IP address with a Physical SqueezeBox (not with softsqueeze - I know how to do that), is it possible to enter a Dynamic DNS host name (as against an IP address) onto the device? Or alternatively can one of the plugins on slimserver (such as Michael Herger's ServerSwitcher be configured to do a DNS lookup and then allow switching to that remote server via the remote (or the controller) interface?

2) I currently have my flacs transcoding to 192 kbps mp3s for remote streaming, which is fine. But I was wondering if there is a way to dynamically adjust the encoding bitrate in real time in response to the available bandwidth? i.e. something like the Slingbox does - I have seen it scale from 8mbps down to 96 kbps depending on what was available. Which codecs support this feature? wma? hd-aac? open source?

radish
2008-01-28, 07:17
1) If you want to access a remote SlimServer that has a changing IP address with a Physical SqueezeBox (not with softsqueeze - I know how to do that), is it possible to enter a Dynamic DNS host name (as against an IP address) onto the device? Or alternatively can one of the plugins on slimserver (such as Michael Herger's ServerSwitcher be configured to do a DNS lookup and then allow switching to that remote server via the remote (or the controller) interface?

Adding DNS lookup to the player would be the way to go for this, IMHO. I don't believe it's currently possible, but it would seem reasonable to add. No server-side functionality will work as obviously the player isn't connected to the server at the time of the lookup :) I'd take a look in bugs.slimdevices.com and add an enhancement request if there isn't one already there.

2) I currently have my flacs transcoding to 192 kbps mp3s for remote streaming, which is fine. But I was wondering if there is a way to dynamically adjust the encoding bitrate in real time in response to the available bandwidth? i.e. something like the Slingbox does - I have seen it scale from 8mbps down to 96 kbps depending on what was available. Which codecs support this feature? wma? hd-aac? open source?

Slimserver only supports streaming as mp3, and it doesn't have any kind of autonegotiation. That kind of thing really needs co-operation between the client and the server, and the basic mp3 streaming protocol doesn't include that. I believe the wma streaming protocol does (and probably others) but they are typically far from open, particularly if you want to build s stream host.