PDA

View Full Version : Tips for music organization & access?

olc
2008-01-27, 18:06
I've had the SB for a couple of weeks and the drive I use for music simply has a folder for each CD. I now have over 400 folders and am wondering if there is a smarter way to organize these files so that it is easier to find what you want when you want it.

I cured the problem of Gracenote putting a diferrent genre fo almosy every CD by retagging with Entagged (a great and simple tool).

Do any of you more experienced users have any tips for organizing music in the music folder or on using the Slimserver or SB interfaces to get easier access to what you want at the moment?

maggior
2008-01-27, 18:37
I've had the SB for a couple of weeks and the drive I use for music simply has a folder for each CD. I now have over 400 folders and am wondering if there is a smarter way to organize these files so that it is easier to find what you want when you want it.

I cured the problem of Gracenote putting a diferrent genre fo almosy every CD by retagging with Entagged (a great and simple tool).

Do any of you more experienced users have any tips for organizing music in the music folder or on using the Slimserver or SB interfaces to get easier access to what you want at the moment?

Generally, having consistent tags for artist and genre help tremendously in keeping your music organized. Having music tagged as "progressive rock", "prog rock", "prog" can be really frustrating. Having the correct year tag can help too. I use EAC to rip and I ensure that the tags are what I want them to be at rip time. This makes things simpler down the line - fixing up bad tags after the fact can be a real pain in the rear.

I have my music set up in a directory structure that looks like this:
genre/artist/(year)album/track number track title.

Here is a sample entry:
prog rock/Porcupine Tree/(2007)Fear of a Blank Planet/01 Fear of a Blank Planet.mp3

This creates a hierarchical structure that you can navigate through pretty quickly to find what you need.

If your files are tagged properly, you can use tools such as foobar2000 to move the files into a directory structure like this (or another one if you prefer). You can also to the other way where if you have this directory structure set up, you can tag your files based on the directory information. Again, foobar2000 can do this for you.

There are other tools out there, but I have found foobar2000 to be the most versatile. Note that versatility doesn't necessarily mean user friendly :-).

Check this link out for suggestions of tools:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToTagging

It can be frustrating to get this all set up correctly, but it can be fun too.
Enjoy!

JJZolx
2008-01-27, 22:23
Like a lot of people, I just use a folder organization of \music\artist\album. I think I have something like an average of three albums per artist in my library, so my 1800 albums means about 600 artist folders in the root of the music folder. That's starting to become too large, so the next step will be to split those into letter folders - probably something like A-F, G-M, N-S, T-Z. If someday the I outgrow that, then I'll just do more letter splits.

Skittler
2008-01-28, 05:37
See here for more discussion:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=39231

Siduhe
2008-01-28, 06:17
A lot will depend on the type of music you have.

Just as an example, if you have lots of music by particular genres it may make sense to subdivide your music library into Classical, Rock, Other and so on.

Lots of people use top level artist folders, but this only makes sense if most of your music is albums where the artist is the same for each track. If, like me, a lot of your music is compilations (dance and electronic), a top level artist subdivision just doesn't work (I have about 4,000 individual artists).

Another possible top level subdivision is by user - we have two music libraries (Siduhe and Mr Siduhe) which sit under the main media folder that Slimserver gets pointed at. Within that, I have mine in straight album folders and I don't find that too hard to keep track of although there is a fair bit of scrolling needed at times. That said, I spend quite a bit of time setting the tracks up right in the first place, so very rarely need to go back and retag or update files at a later stage.

As others have said, consistent tagging is the key to getting the best out of the Slimserver interface. Have you seen the Beginners Guide to Tagging (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToTagging) - some useful stuff in there. I use a combination of MusicBrainz Picard (which will automate the tagging of your library in a consistent fashion to an extent) and Tag&Rename.

jsprag
2008-01-28, 06:46
That's starting to become too large, so the next step will be to split those into letter folders - probably something like A-F, G-M, N-S, T-Z. If someday the I outgrow that, then I'll just do more letter splits.

The problem with taking this approach is once you change your paths then all your playlists are screwed up because the files are no longer where the playlists expect them to be. Best to pick something now with room for future expansion and stick with it.

I use [letter]\artist\album (i.e. d:\[A]\Aerosmith\1987 - Permanent Vacation\01 - Heart's Done Time.mp3

JJZolx
2008-01-28, 08:41
The problem with taking this approach is once you change your paths then all your playlists are screwed up because the files are no longer where the playlists expect them to be. Best to pick something now with room for future expansion and stick with it.

I use [letter]\artist\album (i.e. d:\[A]\Aerosmith\1987 - Permanent Vacation\01 - Heart's Done Time.mp3

True. I don't use playlists much. It would only take a couple minutes to write and run a script to fix the paths within playlists, though.