PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeBox cuts out with Wireless Bridging

obrienk
2008-01-27, 03:55
Hi Folks,

I'm using my SqueezeBox as a wireless bridge for my XBox (original version). Everything works perfectly, except that when I power on the XBox, the SqueezeBox looses its connection & the screen goes blank. The wireless connection is still functioning (because the XBox works fine), but I need to remove the power from the SqueezeBox to make it restart and find the connection for itself again.

Has anybody else encountered this? I'm currently using the latest daily build of SC7, but have always had this problem with version 6.5 and up.

Cheers,
K.

Mark Lanctot
2008-01-29, 15:37
Sounds like an IP address issue - is there a conflict? Are you using DHCP or static IP addresses?

obrienk
2008-01-30, 11:47
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it seems to be an IP address issue alright - it was this post (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=42813) that pointed the way for me.

I've manually set the address and it's working fine now.

I notice a few people are having similar problems. Perhaps if the SB3 displayed an error message when there's an IP conflict instead of a blank screen, it might make things easier for people to diagnose the problem.

Cheers,
K.

Mark Lanctot
2008-01-30, 11:51
Perhaps if the SB3 displayed an error message when there's an IP conflict instead of a blank screen, it might make things easier for people to diagnose the problem.

The SB3 has no way of knowing there's a conflict, this is really a router-level issue.

It must not be easy for a router to see it either or it would correct the situation or inform the user, and I know of no consumer-level router that does this.

Glad your problem is resolved.

Phil Leigh
2008-01-30, 11:58
a router could (in theory) detect a conflict situation where >1 MAC address is bound to a single IP address...
But it seems that domestic routers don't do this?