PDA

View Full Version : Duet vs Sb3....in simple terms

ajmitchell
2008-01-26, 13:54
This has already been asked but I cannot understand the answer, so can anyone explain to me in simple terms what advantage the new duet holds over the SB3; other than the option of the new remote? For example, if the network coverage more reliable? Is the synching better? Thanks

alex

amcluesent
2008-01-26, 14:56
>in simple terms what advantage the new duet holds over the SB3<

No display on the Receiver, lower retail price point.

And the Controller work with Squeezecentre, so SB3 and TP can play too.

Skunk
2008-01-27, 09:27
A Duet is a Controller and Receiver, so if you're disregarding the Controller then your question is really about the difference between the Receiver and Sb3. Just as well really, because since the Controller works with other Slim Device's hardware it not really an advantage for the Duet over Sb3/Transporter.

The biggest difference is the lack of display, so if you're a fan of scrolling RSS or weather as a screensaver on Sb3 then you'd lose that functionality. OTOH, since there's no display there's no reason to leave it out in the open. It can be hidden in a cupboard or AV rack/closet, which is an advantage for some installations.

Initial reports of wireless range are very good, but I don't have a wireless Sb3 to compare. Sync is much improved (from what i hear) in Squeezecenter 7.0, whether you're using Receivers or Sb3's, so if you're having trouble there you might consider trying the beta version until it's released.

In the end, having the controller means I don't ever look at the Sb3 display anymore anyway, and since the sound quality is very similar the difference between the two is reduced to virtually nill in my setup.

JimC
2008-01-27, 10:06
This has already been asked but I cannot understand the answer, so can anyone explain to me in simple terms what advantage the new duet holds over the SB3; other than the option of the new remote? For example, if the network coverage more reliable? Is the synching better? Thanks

alex

Squeezebox Duet is two products in one: the Squeezebox Controller and the Squeezebox Receiver.

The Squeezebox Receiver is, for all intents, a Squeezebox 3 with no display. There are some slight variations, but the differences are pretty small--small enough, in fact, that I think it would be a coin flip as to which was "better". I personally prefer the SB3, based on the "Now Playing" screen and the option of using an IR remote. But I don't pay retail for the hardware, either.

The Squeezebox Controller is, simply put, a purpose-built computer in the palm of your hand, designed to connect to, and control, SqueezeCenter. By extension, it controls ANY Squeezebox or Transporter player connected to the SqueezeCenter music server.

-=> Jim

ajmitchell
2008-03-08, 15:27
Thanks for these helpful replies. I am certainly tempted to give it a go.

danco
2008-03-08, 16:04
By extension, it controls ANY Squeezebox or Transporter player connected to the SqueezeCenter music server.

-=> Jim

Which, for some people, is a major plus. Being wi-fi, it can control a player in another room.