PDA

View Full Version : Can SB play http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html multichannel

redil
2008-01-26, 11:10
Hi everyone
it seems that things are moving: after Linn audio now also the small audiophile Norwegian label 2L starts selling high resolution music from its web site. Here they also offer 5.1 Surround 5.1 FLAC 24 BIT / 48 kHz and lossy encoded music. Thus, it will be perfectly legal to purchase lossless multichannel music thus far only available on SACD/DVD-A.

Which of these formats can the SB handle?

greetings

redil
ps: I tried the 5.1 24 bit 48K flac: SQ "ran out of decoder memory" and had to be hard reset. This seems to be a know bug in the SB
pps: the DTS version on the 2L Website "Surround 5.1 DTS 24 BIT / 44.1 kHz" (i.e. lossy) runs fine when fed through toslink into the AV processor.

Eric Seaberg
2008-01-26, 12:07
The answer depends on what you're feeding the SB3/Transporter into. My Transporter feeds an AV receiver capable of decoding AC3 and DTS streams. In fact, most of my DVD-A discs also have AC3/DTS streams available, and some of us on this list have a way to 'rip' those multi-channel streams making them playable from SlimServer. (you can search for those threads)

So, I guess to answer your question, Slim hardware is capable of playback. It's up to you how you decode the stream.

redil
2008-01-26, 12:54
The answer depends on what you're feeding the SB3/Transporter into. My Transporter feeds an AV receiver capable of decoding AC3 and DTS streams. In fact, most of my DVD-A discs also have AC3/DTS streams available, and some of us on this list have a way to 'rip' those multi-channel streams making them playable from SlimServer. (you can search for those threads)

So, I guess to answer your question, Slim hardware is capable of playback. It's up to you how you decode the stream.

Eric thanks for the reponse. Indeed, I did read on the ripping (including the legal issues, here, we now have a LEGAL source of high res music) So you are saying DTS can be done. Any idea about the 5.1 34bit/48K (lossless) flac?

I am feeding this into the toslink on a Linn UNIDISK SC. The lossless flac blows the SQ (error message: exceeding memory), the lossy starts and than hangs on the SB, with no sound.

ps: Wikipedia tells me:A common use for the S/PDIF interface is to carry compressed digital audio; that may be the reason I am not hearing the lossy version?