PDA

View Full Version : WPA problems

hollanditus
2008-01-26, 07:09
Hi,

I had to change my WEP encryption into WPA encryption. Since then the squeeuzebox cannot connect to the wireless network anymore (the other 2 pc's do fine).

So I have a few questions:

1. what to do? :)
My collegues at the ict-department at work looked at it (and my speedtouch 580 router), but they don't know how to fix it.

2. How do I reset the squeezebox 100 %?
when I reset the squeezebox to factory settings, the display shows with 'current settings' still the old settings/it is not blanc so to say.

3. Is there a way to connect my pc directly with a wire to squezebox so I can configure the settings more easily (than with the remotecontrol).? And so, what kind of wire: crossover or ethernet??? And how/where do I connect

thanks for thinking with me,

robert

CliveL
2008-01-26, 14:48
Which version of the Squeezebox do you have? The SB1's only do WEP, not WPA, and only 802.11b (11Mbps), not G (54Mbps)...

hollanditus
2008-01-28, 11:34
I guess I´ve got version 3, though it is not clear to me where and how I distinguish the different versions. I bought it 2 weeks ago and the owner´s guide is printed in 2007.

I tried to find a phonenumber for technical support, but so far that I just find one for USA and Canadian custumers only.

Siduhe
2008-01-28, 11:51
Hi,

I had to change my WEP encryption into WPA encryption. Since then the squeeuzebox cannot connect to the wireless network anymore (the other 2 pc's do fine).

My collegues at the ict-department at work looked at it (and my speedtouch 580 router), but they don't know how to fix it.

Assuming you have an SB2 or 3 which supports WPA (see here (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?HardwareComparison) here to work out which you have), try a factory reset and be very careful when entering your WPA password - especially capitalisation and no spaces at the end (sorry if this sounds like grandmother sucking eggs stuff).

Also, check that the SB isn't trying to connect to an IP address that is already taken on the network - DCHP shouldn't be affected if all you have done is changed your password, but if you've made other changes or rebooted your router, the old SB IP address may have been taken by something else on your network.

when I reset the squeezebox to factory settings, the display shows with 'current settings' still the old settings/it is not blanc so to say.

Unplug the power cord from the SB2/3, press and hold ADD on the remote, and plug power back in. When SB lights up, relase ADD button. This should do a complete factory reset.

blokkadeleider
2008-01-28, 12:50
Please check on your router wether you're using an AES or a TKIP cipher.
SB2/3's don't support AES.
If necessary, change to TKIP. Of course, you might have to change that setting on all other wireless clients too.

Gr.

Gerrit.

DVB
2008-01-28, 17:48
Please check on your router wether you're using an AES or a TKIP cipher.
SB2/3's don't support AES.
If necessary, change to TKIP. Of course, you might have to change that setting on all other wireless clients too.

Gr.

Gerrit.

Not sure about SB2, but SB3 does support WPA2 and AES.

/DVB

snarlydwarf
2008-01-28, 19:13
Not sure about SB2, but SB3 does support WPA2 and AES.

/DVB

WPA allowed optional AES support and mandatory TKIP. WPA2 reversed that.

So, no, the SB2/3 does not support WPA/AES, but it -does- support WPA2/AES.

Some routers may support WPA/AES, and that will not work with the SB2/3.

rockaway
2008-01-28, 23:03
Hi,

3. Is there a way to connect my pc directly with a wire to squezebox so I can configure the settings more easily (than with the remotecontrol).? And so, what kind of wire: crossover or ethernet??? And how/where do I connect

thanks for thinking with me,

robert

You can get answers to your questions by visiting the below mentioned link.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/guidance/cryptographyetc/peap_b.mspx

blokkadeleider
2008-02-01, 11:43
WPA allowed optional AES support and mandatory TKIP. WPA2 reversed that.

So, no, the SB2/3 does not support WPA/AES, but it -does- support WPA2/AES.

Some routers may support WPA/AES, and that will not work with the SB2/3.

Ah ok, thanks for clearing me up on that :)

Gr.

Gerrit.

hollanditus
2008-02-22, 13:34
Maybe the wright answer was already in this tread, but the solution was:

- the s3 doesn't support wpa tkip/sea, but just WPA.

But my router only supports the wpa-variations tkip/aes.

So I am back on wep encryption.
--------------------------------

The (Dutch) logitec helpdesk assured me 3 times that it should be set on wpa-tkip. Only the forth time the came with this solution.
Alltogehter it costed me many many hours, but the s3 itself is wonderfull!!

this co

Mark Lanctot
2008-02-22, 14:01
WPA/AES is a non-standard arrangement. Use WPA/TKIP. This is sometimes also called PSK (or perhaps in addition?)

WPA2/AES is also supported and this is an industry standard.

Don't use WEP.

snarlydwarf
2008-02-22, 15:26
WPA/AES is a non-standard arrangement. Use WPA/TKIP. This is sometimes also called PSK (or perhaps in addition?)

In addition. PSK is "pre-shared key" as opposed to using RADIUS for authentication (which is more a pain in the butt to set up than is worth it unless you have 100 laptops that move between networks...)

What most people mean by WPA or WPA2 is:
WPA/TKIP/PSK
or WPA2/AES/PSK

It is technically possible to use WPA/AES or WPA2/TKIP, both standards list the other encryption method as optional, but in reality, very few products support using the non-standard encryption.

Don't use WEP.

Very true.

WPA2 offers some theoretical protection over WPA, but so far the only method of breaking WPA works just as well for WPA2 (ie, don't use "password" or "LinkSys" as your key.. make up anything that is not a dictionary word). WEP is another matter entirely... run away from it if you can... consider retiring WEP-only devices.