PDA

View Full Version : Help with MusicIP and SC7 please

Phil Leigh
2008-01-26, 03:01
I'm trying - and failing badly - to get MusicIP working with Squeezecenter.
Im using MusicIP 1.81b and SC7 (yesterdays nightly).
MusicIP is fine except that it won't give me the option to send to SC.
The MusicIP plugin appears to be installed correctly - but there is no sign of any integration occurring.
Could anyone suggest how to debug this and get it working.
The plugin and app are set to use port 10002.
Thanks
Phil

mherger
2008-01-26, 04:34
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?MusicMagicMixer should give some
information.

> MusicIP is fine except that it won't give me the option to send to SC.

I've never used this...

> The MusicIP plugin appears to be installed correctly - but there is no
> sign of any integration occurring.

You'll need to start MIP _before_ SC, turn on its service (listening on
port 10002), enable MusicIP integration in Settings/Advanced/MusicIP and
do a full rescan (which will take quite a bit longer than without MusicIP).

> Could anyone suggest how to debug this and get it working.

set logging for plugin.musicip=debug

> The plugin and app are set to use port 10002.

That's great. You probably only need to enable the plugin and do a rescan.

Michael

Phil Leigh
2008-01-26, 04:43
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?MusicMagicMixer should give some
information.

> MusicIP is fine except that it won't give me the option to send to SC.

I've never used this...

> The MusicIP plugin appears to be installed correctly - but there is no
> sign of any integration occurring.

You'll need to start MIP _before_ SC, turn on its service (listening on
port 10002), enable MusicIP integration in Settings/Advanced/MusicIP and
do a full rescan (which will take quite a bit longer than without MusicIP).

> Could anyone suggest how to debug this and get it working.

set logging for plugin.musicip=debug

> The plugin and app are set to use port 10002.

That's great. You probably only need to enable the plugin and do a rescan.

Michael

Michael - thanks!
I guess I've used the "send to" option in MusicIP in the past because I've never found a way to drive MusicIP from within SC!.

SC starts as a windows service...so do I need to stop it, then start MIP, then restart SC?
Once it has done the rescan, does it matter in the future in which order SC and MM startup?

I've never seen those little "mm" icons people refer to.

mherger
2008-01-26, 05:01
> I guess I've used the "send to" option in MusicIP in the past because
> I've never found a way to drive MusicIP from within SC!.

As I'm running SC on a headless Linux box, there's no GUI from which to
send to SC :-).

> SC starts as a windows service...so do I need to stop it, then start
> MIP, then restart SC?

Yes. You can configure the SC service to depend on the MIP service. That's
hidden somewhere in Windows' service configuration dialog.

> Once it has done the rescan, does it matter in the future in which
> order SC and MM startup?

Yes, SC does check for its presence at startup.

> I've never seen those little "mm" icons people refer to.

Soon you will :-). I like it a lot. Today I launched MIP's GUI for the
first time on my machine, using the OSX X Window client. I wanted the MIP
mood integration. Another nice feature!

Michael

Phil Leigh
2008-01-26, 05:54
Hmmm.. no luck so far.
Michael - how can I tell if the MusicIp service is running - I cant see anything in Control Panel - Services.
I have a strange feelingthat my problem is that the MusicIp service is not running.
Also, in the SC log I get:

[08-01-26 12:29:26.5398] Slim::Plugin::CLI::Plugin::cli_process (581) Error: Connections require authentication, check login command.
[08-01-26 12:29:26.5402] Slim::Plugin::CLI::Plugin::cli_process (582) Error: Disconnecting: 127.0.0.1:3876
[08-01-26 12:46:18.7242] Plugins::LazySearch2::Plugin::scanDoneCallback (1966) Lazifying database items not already done
[08-01-26 12:46:54.3836] Slim::Plugin::CLI::Plugin::cli_process (581) Error: Connections require authentication, check login command.
[08-01-26 12:46:54.3840] Slim::Plugin::CLI::Plugin::cli_process (582) Error: Disconnecting: 127.0.0.1:3970

I'm guessing this CLI error is not connected to MusicIP and is something to do with me having set up a password for my SC?

Thanks for all of your help
Phil

Siduhe
2008-01-26, 06:17
Phil,

Have you looked at the hint and tips at Spicefly.com?

http://spicefly.com/content/category/5/16/32/

There's a "fix start up order of SS and MIP section" which a few people have found helpful. Works with SC7 as well I believe.

If you are running Windows, I would really recommend moving to a headless install (also covered on the Spicefly site). I've found it to be a lot more stable with Slimserver. You can't use the send to functionality, but if it's properly integrated with SC, you don't need to!

Phil Leigh
2008-01-26, 06:21
Phil,

Have you looked at the hint and tips at Spicefly.com?

http://spicefly.com/content/category/5/16/32/

There's a "fix start up order of SS and MIP section" which a few people have found helpful. Works with SC7 as well I believe.

If you are running Windows, I would really recommend moving to a headless install (also covered on the Spicefly site). I've found it to be a lot more stable with Slimserver. You can't use the send to functionality, but if it's properly integrated with SC, you don't need to!

Siduhe - thanks...heading over there now!
Cheers
Phil

Phil Leigh
2008-01-26, 07:04
OK so now I have MM running "headless (as a Windows Service) and the startup dependencies are fixed. I've rebooted and the services are running. Now I'm rescanning...when it finishes, where will I see the MM icons and how can I test that all is working?
Thanks
Phil

Siduhe
2008-01-26, 08:46
Navigate to a song via either interface and you should see a little MM in the top right of the screen (player) and next to the play button (web).

Click the MM in the web or press and hold play with the old style remote on the player.

MIP integration is one of the last bits of the scan so the icons show up at the end IIRC.

mherger
2008-01-26, 09:00
> I'm guessing this CLI error is not connected to MusicIP and is
> something to do with me having set up a password for my SC?

If you've setup up a password, then a CLI client must use it as well. This
very likely is blocking MIP (the Send to SlimServer feature might use CLI).

Michael

Phil Leigh
2008-01-26, 09:31
hmmm... still no "mm" icon anywhere...and play just restarts the song.
aaaaargh!
During the scan it was querying the mIP database...

Any idea where I go next?

Siduhe
2008-01-26, 09:45
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but you have set up MIP in Server Settings and Player settings? Use MIP, and checked the port is the right one?

Is press and hold play as well, although if you're not seeing the icons that's unlikely to be the problem.

Phil Leigh
2008-01-26, 10:15
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but you have set up MIP in Server Settings and Player settings? Use MIP, and checked the port is the right one?

Is press and hold play as well, although if you're not seeing the icons that's unlikely to be the problem.

not a dumb question...nothing is!
server settings - use MusicIp = yes
player setting...strange! - there is no box net to the MusicIP HTTP Port text at the bottom...

mherger
2008-01-26, 22:32
> Any idea where I go next?

Turn on plugin.musicip debugging. One problem might be if MIP sees different paths than SC, eg. MIP uses a mapped network drive, while SC uses the UNC path.

--

Michael

Phil Leigh
2008-01-27, 01:19
OK - success! (I think).
in the WEB UI, from Home - Artists I can now see the "M" button and it works.

Should I see the M anywhere else?
I can't see how to create an MIP mix from a song, which is what I would normally want to do.
Many thanks
Phil

Siduhe
2008-01-27, 05:21
You should see the M in Album view and Song view too, see the attached:

Phil Leigh
2008-01-27, 06:07
ah yes...it is there!
Excellent - thanks to one and all
Phil

Brian Ritchie
2008-02-22, 17:50
Having never managed to get MIP working with SlimServer 6.5.4, I thought I'd give it another go with 7.0. So I set "Use MusicIP" on, and did a full rescan.

To my delight, the scan progress *definitely* included a "MusicIP import" section, which took ruddy ages, and allegedly found 14634 things (presumably tracks). That's not quite my full collection, but then I've not explicitly asked MIP to analyse for a while, as I'd given up on using it (and deselected it in SlimServer). I've left MIP running as a (Win XP) service ever since following the instructions on the SpiceFly site - just never got round to removing it.

So I was hoping that, FINALLY, I would get to see:

Navigate to a song via either interface and you should see a little MM in the top right of the screen (player) and next to the play button (web).

Click the MM in the web or press and hold play with the old style remote on the player.

MIP integration is one of the last bits of the scan so the icons show up at the end IIRC.

But no; not a sausage, not even in the few places where I used to be able generate mixes in 6.5.4. All that seems to have happened is that for each of my playlists, there is now another playlist with "MusicIP:" in front of it, and which contains exactly the same tracks. The one advantage over my previous experience (documented in another thread I've yet to find again) is that at least this time the artwork isn't trashed. So what the heck HAS the import actually done?

No idea what I'm doing wrong, but I'm fed up with all the reboots, registry hacks, tweaks to umpty thousand configuration parameters and endless rescans that it's taken to get this far, and I still can't get the s*dding thing to do the one tiny thing I want, which is to be able to generate mixes from single tracks from either the Squeezebox or the SqueezeCenter web interface. (Or is that two tiny things? :-) )

I can think of ONE more thing to try: should I blank the "music folder" (and "playlist folder" too?) in Settings / Basic? Perhaps having both this set and "use MusicIP" are somehow contradictory? An even longer shot than most of the long shots I've tried, but the comment on "music folder" says "you can leave this blank" (though "can" != "should"), and I vaguely recall suggestions that SC should be set to "only" get data from MusicIP.

-- Brian