PDA

View Full Version : Grip: strange behaviour

egd
2008-01-25, 20:10
I just ripped 13 cd's using Grip/cdparanoia and was getting ready to tag them when I noticed it had skipped some tracks in the rip:
- Grip skipped track 1 and 2 of Lou Gramm's Ready or Not. Reinserting the CD and reselecting just those two tracks resulted in track 2 being ripped, but it kept skipping track 1. No error messages, it fires up the CD, does nothing and thinks it's completed, but there is no track...
- Grip also consistently skipped track 1 of Lindsey Buckingham's Out of the Cradle. Similarly, there is no indication of an error, the rip is just over in a few secs and no file is produced.

All of the abovementioned tracks rip fine using EAC on the same PC (running XP as a virtual machine inside Ubuntu). I did some digging and found that the bug has been reported some time ago at sourceforge. Has anyone encountered this behaviour before. Any ideas to resolve it (there hasn't been a bug fix yet)? In both instances I was able to rip track 1 without issue using cdparanoia from the command line.

I later ripped two additional CD's and didn't have any issues with tracks being skipped. Bizarre...

Ron F.
2008-01-28, 12:37
I have also had a less than satisfactory experience with both Grip and Sound Juicer when ripping to FLAC under Ubuntu. This is unacceptable to me, as they are simply GUI wrappers for codecs that work perfectly well on their own - so what is the problem? I couldn't tell you.

My suggestion might be a bit off topic...

I recommend that you try soundKonverter, a KDE-based program. I have been using it a while now, and it has not caused me any problems so far. It rips CDs, and it converts between file formats too. It was even able to convert my 88.2 KHz WMA files from Linn Records to 48 KHz FLAC! The one caveat with this KDE application is that you will have to install all the codecs separately - but that will still be easier than debugging Grip - my opinion only.

Another alternative is to run my favorite CD ripper under WINE - and that is dBpoweramp. Version 12.4 runs nearly perfectly under the latest version of WINE - 0.9.54. Only conversion to and from WMA does not function, and that might work too but I have not figured out yet what DLLs are missing.

Of course, there is always EAC. It works perfectly under WINE as well.

I am giving these suggestions, because Grip really annoyed me, and I have ripped over a thousand CDs at this point - and in my view - it just has to work.

-Ron

egd
2008-01-29, 05:15
I am giving these suggestions, because Grip really annoyed me, and I have ripped over a thousand CDs at this point - and in my view - it just has to work. Thanks for the suggestions. Agree that things should just work and it doesn't look like Grip is actively maintained anymore - there was a bug submission re the issue I noted quite some time ago.

I'll look into dbpoweramp, eac & mp3tag under Wine. At the moment I have XP running inside Ubuntu using VMware, reason being I'm tied to Total Commander for network file management and mp3tag for tagging operations.

Ron F.
2008-01-29, 09:00
At the moment I have XP running inside Ubuntu using VMware, reason being I'm tied to Total Commander for network file management and mp3tag for tagging operations.

I think you will find that mp3tag will work perfectly under wine - winehq indicates it is platinum as of wine 0.9.52. I personally am using EasyTag on my Ubuntu laptop. It might not be as good as mp3tag overall, but I find it to be sufficient.

I am not familiar with Total Commander, for network file management, I am using "midnight commander" when using an ssh session connected to my music server which is not running X11, and locally I use Gnome Commander. Both are great and I recommend them.

You strike me as someone who is close to leaving Windows behind!

I was introduced to Linux by Michael Herger's SlimCD - and fell in love with Linux the first time it booted:) I switched my desktop at work to Ubuntu, and then my laptop a few months after that. I am now all Linux at work and at home.

-Ron

egd
2008-01-29, 12:59
I am not familiar with Total Commander, for network file management, I am using "midnight commander" when using an ssh session connected to my music server which is not running X11, and locally I use Gnome Commander. Both are great and I recommend them.

You strike me as someone who is close to leaving Windows behind!

I use Gnome Commander for local file operations on my Ubuntu PCs, but find it is not bug free e.g:
- the mass renamer used to regularly and habitually crash if you tried more than one mass renaming task.
- in the past I've found that copying large files with it (>1GB) sometimes seemed to falter

I also find that copying files to my NAS using CIFS does away with ownership issues, whereas doing it from Linux (whether via command line or Gnome Commander) results in the target files inheriting my Linux user account as owner:group. Having to then go and change ownership is a bit of a PITA. Probably my biggest hesitation with Gnome Commander though is its nasty habit of deleting source files when moving files and selecting "skip" or "skip all" if a like named file exists on the target - that is a deal breaker for me.

Gnome Commander is likely modelled on Total Commander, so there are strong similarities, but TC is at this stage a lot more robust and versatile (read: it's mature and I know it intimately) so doing file management across the network is still more convenient for me.

The final issue I've not moved on yet is the fact that my full audio library is copied to a NTFS based RAID array held on an external enclosure. I've not had time to verify the RAID controller's operation under Linux (I need to compile the drivers) and I'm not sure I'm yet ready to trust any other OS writing to NTFS. I'd rather move the entire array to EXT3, JFS or XFS.

In day to day usage terms I've been a Ubuntu user for around two years now. I haven't had a pure windows box for a long time now and I've no doubt there will come a time when I do finally kill the XP instance in VMware. I've no interest whatsoever in Vista.

Ron F.
2008-01-30, 09:32
egd - I was not aware that Gnome Commander had issues as such, but I have not been using it to the degree that you have tried in the past. I wonder if using the older Midnight Commander in a terminal window would work more reliably for you.

I have been running a 750 GB NTFS-formatted SeaGate FreeAgent USB drive with my Ubuntu 7.10 laptop for at least three months now, and it has been working very well for me (after addressing the spin-down behavior of this drive.) It probably would have been preferable to reformat it as ext3, but ... (shrug) ... it seems to just work, so I didn't bother.

-Ron

Ron F.
2008-01-30, 23:43
egd - I installed Total Commander under wine 0.9.54, and it seems to be running fine so far! It is an interesting utility - I can see why you like it.

-Ron

Ron Olsen
2008-01-31, 04:10
My favorite ripping, encoding, and tagging program on Linux is crip: http://bach.dynet.com/crip/

It is a powerful and flexible command-line program to produce professionally tagged and named FLAC or Ogg/Vorbis files.

I have been using it for many years and am very happy with the results.

egd
2008-01-31, 13:38
I wonder if using the older Midnight Commander in a terminal window would work more reliably for you. I've used it, and guess I could continue doing so, but would prefer to have a graphic UI.[/QUOTE]

I installed Total Commander under wine 0.9.54, and it seems to be running fine so far! It is an interesting utility - I can see why you like it.
Perhaps I should give that a go as well, though I anticipate some issues eg. ignoring case sensitivity, path constructs etc.

I think I'll give Krusader a spin also, it's close to Total Commander, but I've found in the past it can be a resource hog and runs slower than I'd like. Midnight Commander, Gnome Commander and Krusader are most definitely the best file managers available in Linux (insofar as what I look for is concerned).

egd
2008-01-31, 13:40
My favorite ripping, encoding, and tagging program on Linux is crip: http://bach.dynet.com/crip/

Thanks Ron, I'd forgotten about crip, I think I'll give it a whirl this weekend when I do some more ripping.