PDA

View Full Version : My Product Suggestions from the Survey a few years back

cobalt
2008-01-23, 14:37
Hi everyone,

I was thinking about the survey Slimdevices was asking customers to fill out a while back, asking for suggestions for future products. This was when the Squeezebox3 was getting good press, and Pink Martini was on everyone's mind. These were my suggestions at the time.

1. A super-audiophile, high end component. This idea came from seeing pictures of the Squeezebox on like a $10,000 Macintosh amplifier in the forums. I mentioned that since the Squeezebox appealed to audiophiles, why not go all out and get all crazy.
2. A more complete system involving a network storage device, or some kind of formal relationship with Infrant. I owned a ReadyNAS NV at the time specifically to run Slimserver.
3. A wifi controller with a color screen and physical controls, that would facilitate control of multiple Squeezeboxes, and that could maybe also have its own audio output. I was playing around with the Nokia 770 at the time, both as a controller and as a sound source via its tiny built-in speaker or headphone jack. Both of these last suggestions were related to providing more direct competition to Sonos.

Obviously, what happened in the time since then has been:
1. the Transporter.
2. a deal for consumers who want to buy an Infrant ReadyNAS.
3. the Squeezebox controller.

I should add that I felt the high-end player I had in mind should contain a CD player and a hard drive, more like the Olive Symphony. I thought it would make sense to have a way to set up the Squeezebox system completely without a PC. But given how everyone who is getting into digital music has a PC, I can see why that wouldn't matter.

I had two other suggestions that haven't been implemented:
1. a Squeezebox unit with a much larger screen, maybe the size of a wall clock.
2. a Squeezebox unit that included a high quality mono speaker, kind of like an internet radio, but in particular produced by a company like Tivoli Audio.

So, my point in this is:
- How should I feel about seeing some of my suggestions materialize the way that they did? Were they totally obvious to others as well?
- Will we see a Squeezebox Wall Clock?

Thanks.

Pale Blue Ego
2008-01-23, 17:51
You nailed it. Let's hope the Squeeze wall clock is next.

snarlydwarf
2008-01-23, 18:49
Considering that "digital picture frames" are everywhere from BestBuy to Walmart, you would think that the technology to make nice reasonable sized displays is here...

OTOH, look at the cost of even the tiny ones... it is almost cheaper to just buy a laptop... you can get a good display size on a cheap $400 laptop, a display that beats any "digital picture frame"... 640x480 resolution is so 1992.

I don't know the cost of those displays (certainly can't be much if they can have such cheap laptops) in quantity, but, yeah, it would be neat to have Logitech make a HUGE digital picture frame, like 8x10" equivalent or better (ie, a laptop display) and an 802.11g (or maybe wired, since you need to run power to the thing anyway... POE maybe to keep cable count down) connection.

And of course an API so that "other software" (at least SlimServer) could toss up a sort of 'Now Playing' image).

A toy like that would really fit into the Logitech product line well, and I would only demand 1% of all sales for my idea. Making it general purpose enough (some memory so a computer could "upload" a dozen pictures to it so it wouldnt go black when the PC was turned off, for example, but less hassle than SD card-swapping) would help quantity sales for the best pricing on displays.

(um, okay, a free one as a bribe would also work... I'm cheap.)

cobalt
2008-01-23, 23:56
I was actually thinking about a large VFD. Kind of like those weather reporting stations that you can hang on the wall.

1% sounds reasonable. Maybe Slimdevices should offer me a job. Or, a free Transporter and Controller. Gold plated.

Phil Leigh
2008-01-24, 10:41
You nailed it. Let's hope the Squeeze wall clock is next.

ummm...I used to have an SB2 velcro'd to the top of a Tivoli model One...sounded great in the kitchen or outside.
Now I have it mounted inside a powered PA stage monitor - v loud indeed :o) - must post a pic...

cobalt
2008-01-24, 19:58
ummm...I used to have an SB2 velcro'd to the top of a Tivoli model One...sounded great in the kitchen or outside.
Now I have it mounted inside a powered PA stage monitor - v loud indeed :o) - must post a pic...

I have to say that I would love to see that picture.

aubuti
2008-01-25, 07:02
I have to say that I would love to see that picture.
Then you'd probably like the one that Dean's brother put together with a custom case for the SB1. Very nice. http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=10597&page=3

cobalt
2008-01-25, 15:43
Then you'd probably like the one that Dean's brother put together with a custom case for the SB1. Very nice. http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=10597&page=3

That's awesome.