PDA

View Full Version : Noob question about network/Softsqueeze

eritor
2008-01-23, 02:32
Hi,
I cannot get my Tablet PC (LG C1) with Vista to get music throuh wifi from my Squeececenter (Slimserver 7 beta) via Softsqueece (or any other way for that matter).

Here is my setup:
- Music on NAS (Qnap 201)
- Slimserver 7 Beta on Fit PC with Ubuntu 7.10 (CPU AMD Geode LX800 500MHz, Memory: 256MB DDR 333MHz)
- These are connected through a Netgear Rangemax router (b/g)

What I have done:
-I have downloaded Softsqueece on my LG C1 Tablet with Vista. Softsqueece identifies that Slimserver is on my Fit-PC
-I have set up port forwarding for ports 9000 and 3483 on my Router to the Fit-PC

Even if I try to disable my firewall on the Tablet (F-Secure 2008) Softsqueece tells me that there is a connection failure. I have also tried connectin through Firefox with adress 192.168.1.7:9000 (with "7" being the Fit-PC's assigned adress) but with no luck.

Any suggestions on how I will get this to work? Also, there are a million choises I can make in my firewall, what do I need to open if I don't want it disabled (once I get it working)?

Remember that I am a beginner, I have no experience with Ubuntu, Linux, Network settings or Slimserver. I like going way over my head tech-wise :) Any help is appreciated, but help which I understand is preferable :)

maggior
2008-01-23, 07:53
Do you have a firewall on your Ubuntu server? If so, you need to open the ports there too.

If you can't get the web interface to work, then SoftSqueeze won't work. It might be easier to troubleshoot it from that point of view first.

Can you get to the web interface on the Ubuntu machine itself?

eritor
2008-01-23, 09:31
Hi,

I don't think I have a firewall on the Ubuntu Server, unless it has one by default in Ubuntu 7.10 (I have not installed one myself).

The web interface is working, and I have all my songs scanned and ready.

Is it possible that the problem is the low specs of the Fit-PC? Ubuntu 7.10 is slow regarding the web interface (I'm planning to switch for a clean Windows XP Home installation)?

maggior
2008-01-23, 10:56
Hi,

I don't think I have a firewall on the Ubuntu Server, unless it has one by default in Ubuntu 7.10 (I have not installed one myself).

The web interface is working, and I have all my songs scanned and ready.

Is it possible that the problem is the low specs of the Fit-PC? Ubuntu 7.10 is slow regarding the web interface (I'm planning to switch for a clean Windows XP Home installation)?

Ubuntu may install a firewall be default even if you didn't ask it to. It's worth checking out.

I am running slimserver on a 350MHz AMD K6 with 256MB of RAM and I can use the web page and SoftSqueeze, so I don't think the low-end specs of your fit PC are an issue.

When you got to the web page, you did that on the Ubuntu machine or from your tablet?

Why do you want to move to Microsoft? On a low end machine like you have, you will get better performace from Linux than XP - I know this from personal experience, as do others here.

eritor
2008-01-23, 12:40
Hi! I can reach the webpage from the Ubuntu machine, not from the tablet. I'll check for a firewall on Ubuntu to see if I can disable it. The reason I'll go with XP is 1) on the Fit-PC forums they have tried the difference between win XP and Ububtu 7.10, with a clean XP giving better peformance (which can also be seen from the minimum memory requirements which is 64 Mb for XP and 192 Mb for Ubuntu 7.10) and 2) because I feel more at home in the XP environment. You should have followed my efferts to map up the NAS to Ubuntu...:)

maggior
2008-01-23, 13:26
Hi! I can reach the webpage from the Ubuntu machine, not from the tablet. I'll check for a firewall on Ubuntu to see if I can disable it. The reason I'll go with XP is 1) on the Fit-PC forums they have tried the difference between win XP and Ububtu 7.10, with a clean XP giving better peformance (which can also be seen from the minimum memory requirements which is 64 Mb for XP and 192 Mb for Ubuntu 7.10) and 2) because I feel more at home in the XP environment. You should have followed my efferts to map up the NAS to Ubuntu...:)

I can understand feeling more at home in XP. Truth be told, I use Linux only for the server end - I still use Windows XP for ripping and encoding my discs.

However, I'll be quite surprised if you find a performance boost by running XP and slimserver (or squeezecenter). Perhaps a totally stripped down install will run OK, but add anything like antivirus and I think it will bog down. I've never heard of anybody running XP in 64MB - yikes!

Anyway, good luck - I hope it works out for you.

eritor
2008-01-23, 13:32
Thanks! I'll Strip my installation to the max. At least I have 256 Mb to play with :)