PDA

View Full Version : Control Squeezebox from the Computer?

lagosirio
2008-01-22, 20:43
Hello, I am new here and think about buying a SqueezeBox.
However I would like to have the possibility to control the box from my Mac.
I like to start songs from my Apple and the SqueezeBox should just work (receive and forward data) and may be dispay the title information.
Is that possible?

I know that for this Airport Express would be better but I like the other SqueezeBox features much more. (standallone internet radio, better sound)

Eric Seaberg
2008-01-22, 21:09
Yes it's possible. Airport Express doesn't come CLOSE to what you'll hear out of a Slim device, especially if you take the digital output in an external DAC.

Once the server is running and streaming to the Squeezebox, you access the SB3 via a web-browser on your make and change tunes, create playlists, whatever.

Do you have another computer you would use as the server? How about your network... do you have wired and wireless, or just wireless?

matthijskoopmans
2008-01-22, 21:10
you can control the Squeezebox with any web enabled device on your network. Squeezecenter has a very nice web interface (or a collection of interfaces to choose from). I like the new default skin on version 7.0, but you can download 3rd party plug-ins like slimfx as well. Give it a try. I recommend you downloading the latest 7.0 nightly, and use Softsqueeze as a surrogate squeezebox. You can control it from your mac. Here is the URL: http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html

Good luck

Matt

lagosirio
2008-01-22, 21:23
Do you have another computer you would use as the server? How about your network... do you have wired and wireless, or just wireless?

I will use this amplifier with digital input:
http://www.advance-acoustic.com/en-product.php?id=25

Music should come from my iMac and I like to control the whole story from there. Connetion will be realized with WLAN (iMac's internal 'Airport'). At the same time the iMAc is connected to the internet via an WLAN DSL modem.

Once the server is running and streaming to the Squeezebox,
How do I get there after switching on SB and Computer? Where do I initially define what to stream?

robbin
2008-01-22, 21:51
How do I get there after switching on SB and Computer? Where do I initially define what to stream?You use the Squeezecenter to define what to stream as well as to control the Squeezebox. As was mentioned above, if you download and install Squeezecenter on your iMac you will be able to try out the server software which you will be using to control the Squeezebox. You can also then install Softsqueeze on your iMac which is a software version of Squeezebox. This will basically let your iMac work like a Squeezebox with the output being your sound card. Not as good as a Squeezebox but it will provide you a way to try everything out.

lagosirio
2008-01-23, 03:22
Oh, that is a great news. Need to try that 'simulation' as soon as possible.
It would be my dream to have finally NO new user interface: That means in the best case I can use iTunes, FrontRow, Quicktime, Realplayer etc. as allways but the sound data automatically ends up in the SB.

Is that possible as well?

peter
2008-01-23, 04:06
lagosirio wrote:
> Oh, that is a great news. Need to try that 'simulation' as soon as
> possible.
> It would be my dream to have finally NO new user interface: That means
> in the best case I can use iTunes, FrontRow, Quicktime, Realplayer etc.
> as allways but the sound data automatically ends up in the SB.
>
> Is that possible as well?
>

In a word: No.

Regards,
Peter