PDA

View Full Version : Sc7?

ezsurfing
2008-01-22, 08:02
I have one SB3 with this
SlimServer Version: 6.5.4 - 12568 - Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8S165) - EN - utf8
Perl Version: 5.8.6 darwin-thread-multi-2level
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-standard
and I am wondering if I can install SC7 and how stable it is and have more things to ask as to where I can get the link to download it and and if the settings and plugins I have on my Slimserver 6.5 will stay or will be deleted completely with the new install. Is there a link to some screenshots of the new interface or how it works?

kesey
2008-01-22, 08:45
ez, I run SC7 on Windows XP and find it extremely stable. You can get it at:
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/7.0/

I have to say that the support network on these boards is superb. It says wonders for the way people feel about the Squeezebox and the Transporter.

Secret Squirrel
2008-01-22, 08:45
ezsurfing,

This has been a reoccurring question on the forum lately. Personally, I download SC 7.0 back in December and have never looked back. Sure, it takes a clean install and requires you to update ALL of your plug-ins, but for me with only a couple of plug-ins it was quick and easy.

Just go to the Slim Devices web site, click on "Download now", click on "Beta and pre-release", and then select "7.0" ( or just go to this link: http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html)

From the chatter in the forum 7.0 is VERY close to release and I can attest to it being VERY stable. Give it a shot!

HTH,

SS

ezsurfing
2008-01-22, 10:34
Thanks for the replies. So, the download available is not the definite version yet? Is it still beta? Maybe I misunderstood. I am using MAC Leopard. Is it ok to try it then in Mac OS X? Will I have to install the same plugins all over again? If I don't like it or find any bugs how can I go back to Slimserver 6.5?

ceejay
2008-01-22, 11:27
SC7 is not "released" yet, so is still beta - but it seems to be very close.

There is a MAC version.

You will need to upgrade all your plugins when you go from 6.5 to 7. If you subsequently upgrade again to a released version of 7, you shouldn't have to do the plugins again, though you may want to take that opportunity to check you are up to date with them.

You can always uninstall and go back if you really want to.

HTH

ezsurfing
2008-01-22, 16:33
SC7 is not "released" yet, so is still beta - but it seems to be very close.

There is a MAC version.

You will need to upgrade all your plugins when you go from 6.5 to 7. If you subsequently upgrade again to a released version of 7, you shouldn't have to do the plugins again, though you may want to take that opportunity to check you are up to date with them.

You can always uninstall and go back if you really want to.

HTH

So there are new versions of the plugins for SC7? If I want to uninstall back I assume I just have go to the download page?

ModelCitizen
2008-01-22, 16:35
So there are new versions of the plugins for SC7? If I want to uninstall back I assume I just have go to the download page?
Yes. Get on with it.

MC

kdf
2008-01-22, 16:42
>
> ceejay;261503 Wrote:

> So there are new versions of the plugins for SC7? If I want to
> uninstall back I assume I just have go to the download page?

The plugins that are included with SC7 are updated and moved to
Slim/Plugin in order to keep them separated from the third party plugins.
Anything in the Plugins folder currently will be useless and can be
removed (if you don't remove them, they simply wont get loaded by
SqueezeCenter, but they could prevent updated version from loading if you
extract one on top of the other).

Third-party plugins should be downloaded from the authors' sites.
Many have updated their supported versions here:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?SlimServerPlugins

The Plugins forum is also a good place to look for announcements and links
for your favourite third-party plugins.

-kdf

ezsurfing
2008-02-06, 04:02
Sorry for coming back to this; I hadn't decided yet to install SC7 and I might be giving it a go soon, but I wanted to ask if when I install the new app the previous version (6.5) will be deleted automatically or do I have to do it manually beforehand. Is there any manual to read as well? Just worried how SB3 will behave during the upgrade and wondering if I have to turn it off or unplug it.

mherger
2008-02-06, 04:16
> new app the previous version (6.5) will be deleted automatically or do
> I have to do it manually beforehand.

If you're on Windows SS6 will be uninstalled before installing SC7, migrating the settings.

--

Michael

Balthazar_B
2008-02-06, 05:53
Looking for a little advice.

Currently I'm running the latest SS 6.5.x on Ubuntu 7.04. I want to upgrade to SC7. My thought is to do the following:

1) Completely uninstall SS 6.5 and remove the SS directories.

2) Upgrade Ubuntu to 7.10 in place.

3) Install the SC7 bits and any new plug-ins.

I realize that wiping everything clean and installing the OS and Squeeze pieces is safer, but is there anything really wrong with the above? One reason I want to upgrade the OS in place is that there are a few settings and utilities (e.g., NX Server) that I'd rather not rebuild from scratch if I can avoid it.

Thanks!

EDIT: After reading through the Beta and Linux/Unix forums, I may wait a bit until the serious issues with the SC7 Debian builds are under control.

ezsurfing
2008-02-06, 11:02
> new app the previous version (6.5) will be deleted automatically or do
> I have to do it manually beforehand.

If you're on Windows SS6 will be uninstalled before installing SC7, migrating the settings.

--

Michael

I am on MAC OS X 10.4. So will it be deleted as in Windows?