PDA

View Full Version : Old PC-how old is too old?

SophieB
2008-01-21, 13:39
I have an old Dell Latitude that I was thinking of using as my slimserver connected to a LinkStation 500GB which would store all the music. This would then connect to the squeezebox that I have yet to buy. I have two other newer laptops, but since we use them all the time for other stuff, I thought a dedicated old laptop might work best. Is it just too old? Should I just use one of the other, newer laptops instead?
Thanks so much!
-Sophie

mherger
2008-01-21, 13:46
My server is 4 years old and was low power when I installed it: C3/1GHz

Michael

ik632
2008-01-21, 13:48
How much ram and processor does it have? I successfully run FreeNAS with the SlimNAS extension on a Celeron 600 with 256mb ram without any performance issues. The nice think about the old laptop is that it shouldn't pull too much power. I don't think it will be able to boot from the usb ports, so you won't be able to install the OS on that drive, but if it's got a decent internal HDD then you can install to that.

My current setup uses a 4 gig (you heard correctly) for the os/boot drive and 2x200gb (in software Raid 1) for the data drives and I'm more than happy with the performance.

SophieB
2008-01-21, 14:09
Like yours it has 256MB ram and a Intel Mobile Pentium III microprocessor. What do you mean when you say that it will not be able to boot from the usb ports? It has a Windows NT OS already installed. I assume I should remove everything else from the laptop.
Thanks,
Sophie

slimkid
2008-01-21, 15:01
Like yours it has 256MB ram and a Intel Mobile Pentium III microprocessor. What do you mean when you say that it will not be able to boot from the usb ports? It has a Windows NT OS already installed. I assume I should remove everything else from the laptop.
Thanks,
Sophie

That configuration will be good enough to support SB3, probably a little on the slow side (but still OK) for browsing album art and almost certainly not good enough to run Inguz plugin (if you don't know what it is, doesn't matter - not a crucial part of set up)

moley6knipe
2008-01-21, 15:54
My old PC was a desktop, a Dell 1.7 Ghz Celeron with 256Mb. SS 6.5.x and my SB3 ran fine, but the web interface and rescanning was hilariously slow. Still, if all you want is something to feed your SB3 then pretty much anything'll do!

http://www.herger.net/slim/detail.php?nr=763 is worth a look, as that'll give you a nice fast install if **all** you want to do on that machine is run SS. But then, I guess if you want to do something else reboot without the disc in!

nolesrule
2008-01-21, 18:00
I'm running SS 6.5 on a P-III 500MHz with 288MB RAM and WinXP. It can be a little slow, and I'm sure more RAM would help, but it works.

maggior
2008-01-21, 18:38
I recently put an old PC to use running slimserver. It is an AMD K6 running at 350 MHz with 256 MB RAM. I am running Open SuSe Linux on it. I was able to run FreeNAS on it too, but I was not able to get the client side of Samba working on it.

Navigating the menus is a little sluggish, but it never skips a beat streaming music. I have shn, ape, and FLAC file loaded on it. I think if the machine was running at 500MHz, it would be perfectly acceptable.

IMO, older machines benefit from running a version of Linux rather than Windows. Less CPU horsepower and memory are required for running a Linux server (i.e. no desktop window systems such as GNOME or KDE).

Good luck.

pfarrell
2008-01-21, 18:54
Laptops tend to be slower than desktops, but since you have it, just try it.

I ran for years on a P3-500. I would probably still be using it, but it was so old that the CPU fan filled with rabbit hair and seized.

As others have said, Linux seems to run faster, but if you have Windows and know it, I would not change.

A used desktop can be had for a few hundred bucks, anything made this century will be fast enough.

dcote
2008-01-22, 03:05
hi!

i can confirm this.

i am running a ~700MHz VIA ITX mobo (PIII-equivalent) with 1GB of RAM. it also runs a bunch of other stuff, so it is very busy.

sometimes (as in sporadically), the remote control needs a couple of seconds to react and the web UI can be pretty sluggish (proven to be caused by my virus scanner).

but it is perfectly serviceable and considering my machine only consumes ~45-50W of power with 3 hard disks and ~1 TB of storage, i gladly put up with slight delays. ;-)

i used to have 256MB of RAM, which definitely caused heavy delays and sometimes even forced the machine to a halt. but since the upgrade to 1GB everything runs (almost) perfectly.