PDA

View Full Version : Remote access to slim server?

oivindi
2008-01-21, 12:57
I want to access my OS X installed Slimserver at work.

I have opened the ports I need to open, and know the web interface is accessible from outside my router.

I have also tried the latest version of Softsqueeze, but it simply disconnects from my Slimserver continually.

Any other options?

(I have tried searching for "remote access" in the forums, but for some reason this search string makes the forum search go blank ...)

mherger
2008-01-21, 13:48
> Any other options?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?ConnectingRemotely

Michael

oivindi
2008-01-21, 14:20
Thanks for the reply, but I think I was a bit unclear.

Because I want to PLAY my music library at the computer I use at work.

I tried streaming through iTunes, but the connection seems notoriously unreliable.

Any other suggestions?

Eric Seaberg
2008-01-21, 15:35
Instead of using iTunes, log on to your server with a web browser. Look for the HELP link and click on that. You should see a link called SoftSqueeze. Click on that and follow the directions to install it on your work computer. Once it's installed you should be able to play your library.

In my case, my cable company has issued a DHCP address for my cable modem that COULD change on a regular basis. It usually stays the same for MONTHS at a time, but your mileage may vary.

With that in mind, if you have a DHCP address, checking it on a regular basis should help your catch the change when it happens.

Once you've got playback happening, make SURE you setup your server to bandwidth limit the connection to your work computer. A 128k stream sounds pretty dang good on a pair of computer speakers and will probably not bottle-neck your OUTBOUND connection from home.

exile
2008-01-21, 20:03
eric's advice is spot on. I would add simply that if you're going to access your music remotely regularly then you should set yourself up with a dynamic (i.e. non-changing) web address for your slim server computer. i have an account with dyndns.com. it's free and after you set it up, you will forever after have one non-changing web address to refer to when you want to listen to your music.

good luck.

maggior
2008-01-22, 08:51
eric's advice is spot on. I would add simply that if you're going to access your music remotely regularly then you should set yourself up with a dynamic (i.e. non-changing) web address for your slim server computer. i have an account with dyndns.com. it's free and after you set it up, you will forever after have one non-changing web address to refer to when you want to listen to your music.

good luck.

Good advice - I listen to my music remotely from work quite often and set this up too. The stock firmware in the Linksys WRT-54G supports this and will update DynDns regularly.

Regarding using SoftSqueeze as the remote player - keep in mind that for that to work you have to forward another port in addition to 9000 - the slimproto port of 3483.

At work, I found that I was not able to use SoftSqueeze. I think the proxy was blocking 3483 for some strange reason. But I could use both Winamp and Windows Media Player to play the stream.mp3 stream. For this to work, you tell winamp or wmp to play the url http://<ip of your home network>:9000/stream.mp3. If you have a user name and password set up for accessing the web page for slimserver (which you should if you have enabled remote access), then you will be prompted for the user name and password. Once you are streaming, you control what is being played from the web page.

The advantage of using something like dyndns is <ip of your home network> can be a name rather than a number, like mynetwork.homeip.net.

Have fun.

Khuli
2008-01-22, 09:12
I would add simply that if you're going to access your music remotely regularly then you should set yourself up with a dynamic (i.e. non-changing) web address for your slim server computer.

I think you mean static, not dynamic...