PDA

View Full Version : SB3 talks to my PC, but not my Mac

craigim
2008-01-21, 11:09
I've had a SB3 for about 8 months or so and have been using it with my desktop PC with few problems. I recently bought a Mac Mini to act as my music server, since it's much quieter and uses less power. I'm running the 7.0 beta on both. I don't remember which I've got on my PC, but I've got the 1-21-2008 build on my Mac.

If my PC is on, I can connect to it without problems. If my PC is off, and I try to connect to my Mac, I can find it on the network menu on the SB3, with the correct IP address, but when I connect, the word 'connecting...' appears for 5-10 seconds, and then the display goes blank. I've double-checked that the server is running on my computer, and I can load up SqueezeCenter in my browser.

Being new to the world of Mac, I have no idea where to even start diagnosing this problem. Any suggestions? I'm running Mac OS X v10.4.11, and I've got everything wired directly to my router.

Loftprojection
2008-01-21, 14:40
I have the same problem but unlike you, I don't have my PC anymore so no more Squeezebox music for me!!!

It used to work perfectly while I had a Windows machine. I downloaded Slimserver on my MacOS and installed it without problem. However my SB2 does not see the Slimserver on my new Mac. It still connects to the internet for radio but not to my Mac. I'm pretty bummed and I have to assume that it's probably me that is too stupid with this MacOS to do things right but on the Mac for all I can see Slimserver works fine.

Anyway, with a bit of luck somebody will have an idea that will help both of us! haha

Eric Seaberg
2008-01-21, 15:44
Can you try reverting back to SlimServer 6.5.4 to see if it works? Can you verify that SlimServer is even starting? I know there have been issues with 7.0 not doing that.

I've been running on a Mac MINI for almost 18-months with no problems whatsoever. Can you give us any other info... have you opened the ports for the server in the SHARING FIREWALL preferences pane on the Mini?

Zaragon
2008-01-21, 15:59
First the caveat:) I know almost absolutely nothing about MACs.

But, the server is obviously running because the SB can see it and lets you select it. When it tries to communicate with the server it fails. Now assuming that the network itself is OK this suggests that the MAC is refusing the connection from the SB.

This is highly suggestive of a firewall and I vaguely recall something about firewalls on some MACs.

I assume when you mention SoftSqueeze working OK that you are loading that on the MAC. If that is the case try loading it on the PC and trying to connect to the MAC. If that also fails then it really looks like a firewall since I also assume that the MAC works to the Internet.

You could also try softsqueeze on the MAC to the PC running the server.

danco
2008-01-21, 16:52
We don't know what router you have. This may not be relevant, but it would help to know in case it is relevant. And, for loftprojection, what version of the OS, what version of SlimServer, wired or wireless (craigim, I do realise you gave these details).

As others have suggested, a firewall problem seems likely. However, the default on 10.4.11 is to have the firewall off. But better check it.

Try looking at things the other way round. Open the SlimServer/SqueezeCenter web interface and check if that sees the Squeezebox.

If you're on wireless, try turning off wireless security in both the router and the Sb, and see if you can connect. If you can, it would likely be a password mismatch.

Try going through the setup procedure again. Press and hold the power button, until Set up networking appears, and go through all the steps again.

I've listed these starting with the most likely cause/solution and going on to the least likely.

craigim
2008-01-21, 17:55
I tried turning the firewall off and suddenly the SB3 connected on its own (and as an aside, my bittorrent client started working as well). I added ports 9000-9001 and it works now with the firewall on. Damn you Macintosh and your superior Unix based network security!

Eric Seaberg
2008-01-21, 20:37
Your open ports should be 9000-9090 as well as 3483.

Loftprojection
2008-01-22, 05:17
Mine seems to work as well, I just turned it on and the player appeared in my Slimserver saying it needs to upgrade it's version. I had to go in the firewall and allow incoming traffic to the process/deamon "pearl". Go figure, would have been great if it was called Slim...something!

Am I an idiot that didn't read the instructions properly or is all this not written in the setup instructions? If it's not there it would definitely be a good idea to add it.

Mucho thank you guys, I'll be able to do some listening tonight.

danco
2008-01-22, 09:13
I had to go in the firewall and allow incoming traffic to the process/deamon "pearl".

Am I an idiot that didn't read the instructions properly or is all this not written in the setup instructions? If it's not there it would definitely be a good idea to add it.

"perl" presumably, not "pearl". That is the programming language behind SlimServer, so the SS people can't change the name.

You never said what your OS was. It really can be helpful.

At a guess you are using Leopard (OS 10.5), as I don't think that message would come up in Tiger (10.4), the firewalls are different.

The instructions probably do need changing to deal with Leopard issues, but Leopard is new enough that I am not surprised that this has not yet been done.

Loftprojection
2008-01-22, 09:29
"perl" presumably, not "pearl". That is the programming language behind SlimServer, so the SS people can't change the name.

You never said what your OS was. It really can be helpful.

At a guess you are using Leopard (OS 10.5), as I don't think that message would come up in Tiger (10.4), the firewalls are different.

The instructions probably do need changing to deal with Leopard issues, but Leopard is new enough that I am not surprised that this has not yet been done.

Ho sorry, I didn't post too much because I didn't want to interfere with the original poster's issue. After all I am the intruder here and it's not very polite.

Yes I am using Leopard and I think you are right, it is perl that I allowed for incoming traffic, not pearl. I'll confirm if everything works tonight, I didn't have time to try it more then power it on this morning.

craigim
2008-01-22, 16:18
Your open ports should be 9000-9090 as well as 3483.

Aha. That would probably explain why when I later restarted, it stopped working again. I will try opening up all requisite ports when I get home from work.

Wondering out loud, why did it work without such tinkering on my PC? Does the windows firewall just suck that badly?

Loftprojection
2008-01-22, 19:43
OK, I confirm that mine works fine. The solution was to allow traffic for the "perl" process in the firewall. I didn't open specific ports like described above.

I'm a happy camper listening to nice music right now!