PDA

View Full Version : Rhapsody + Squeezebox = Endless Frustration

Chop
2008-01-20, 11:39
Once again, I'm receiving the "Internal Rhapsody Error...unable to authenticate..." message when trying to use Rhapsody.

I've been a longtime SB user and supporter, but I'm tired of the endless frustration in using it with Rhapsody. Even when there isn't a full blown error, there are constant time outs, drops and an album/playlist never plays in its entirety without skipping over tracks.

I have a great network, plenty of bandwidth, plenty of resources and Rhapsody works like a charm if I just stream it from the Rhapsody client on a local machine. Of the three other SB owners I know, they all have the same issues when using Rhapsody so I know I'm not alone.

I'm writing this for three reasons:

1) To vent ;>)

2) To ask if others have the same issues and if they do, can we please stop pretending that the SB is Rhapsody compliant.

3) Does anyone have a recommendation for a network music player that supports Rhapsody and works? Four years ago, I didn't care about all of the SB's flaws because it was so cool. Now, I just want something that works if Slim can't raise their game. (And when I say flaws, I don't just mean Rhapsody. Squeezecenter is full of lag. The live music archive plugin has never worked well, and there are always plenty of quirks in regular playback.)

y360
2008-01-20, 12:27
Yes, saw "unable to authenticate" as well but now it's ok

y360
2008-01-20, 12:47
And yes - I also get occasional drop outs, skips and hang ups with Rhapsody on the SB3 that do not occur with the Rhapsody PC client. I think that the buffering of the SB3 is more sensitive to network disruptions. Or perhaps it is a firmware bug. Or a server-side issue.
Still it works ok most of the time and then it is just great.

I think the QA should setup a testbed SB and play a long playlist of several hundred songs and verify the stability of Rhapsody Direct over time.
I can understand that a non-geek consumer would find it difficult to accept the instability.

Chop
2008-01-20, 14:17
And yes - I also get occasional drop outs, skips and hang ups with Rhapsody on the SB3 that do not occur with the Rhapsody PC client.

Come on, tell the truth. Do you occasionally have problems with Rhapsody or are you astonished during the rare (if ever) times when Rhapsody works as it should? For myself and everyone I know with a SB, it's the latter.

I think the QA should setup a testbed SB and play a long playlist of several hundred songs and verify the stability of Rhapsody Direct over time.

Or how about just trying to play one album? Screw the long playlist over time - the simple ability to play a single album without issue would be a massive improvement.

I can understand that a non-geek consumer would find it difficult to accept the instability.

And I would think the geek would be frustrated as well. I don't code, but I had enough "geek" in me to accept all of the SB's "quirks" (I say this kindly) because 1) There were not many other competitive options and 2) the open source Slimserver and all the plugins that came with that made it fun.

But the reality is that the vast majority of plugins really had no use after the "cool - look what else I can do with my squeezebox" factor wore off (e.g. an RSS Reader on a tiny screen across the room) and most of the plugins that were really useful came with plenty of quirks of their own (Rhapsody back in the day when it was a plugin, Live Music Archive, Sirius and XM Radio to name three).

I'm dying to know if people have the same problems with the Sonos, Roku and others?

Right now the Roku is 149.99, is tightly integrated with iTunes (based on its native support of ALAC and AAC), and works with all Play For Sure formats. Granted, I can't read RSS feeds on it and it won't support FLAC or OGG. But given that 90 percent of people manage their music with iTunes these days - if it actually works, it's probably a much better alternative than the quirky box we've been using for years.

smc2911
2008-01-20, 14:25
Personally, I've been giving Rhapsody quite a workout lately (including plenty of whole albums, queued up one after the other) and I have had no problems at all. I do sometimes have drop-outs with last.fm, but I'm yet to experience that with Rhapsody.

mkozlows
2008-01-20, 14:32
I'm dying to know if people have the same problems with the Sonos, Roku and others?

Right now the Roku is 149.99, is tightly integrated with iTunes (based on its native support of ALAC and AAC), and works with all Play For Sure formats. Granted, I can't read RSS feeds on it and it won't support FLAC or OGG. But given that 90 percent of people manage their music with iTunes these days - if it actually works, it's probably a much better alternative than the quirky box we've been using for years.

The Squeezebox is a model of polished maturity compared to the rough, slow, and awkward Roku. I bought a Roku M500 a while back, and it was vastly inferior to even the SB1. The SB2 trounces it thoroughly, in every respect.

raglencross
2008-01-20, 15:15
I used to have a lot of problems with Rhapsody and other services before I changed ISP's. After that the SB3 performed flawlessly. Recently, I switched ISP's again for one offering more bandwidth at a cheaper price. All my old problems came back and after a few days I switched back to the previous ISP. The long and the short of it is that streaming in real time over the internet is at the mercy of many variables, such as latency and jitter, and this I am afraid varies greatly between individual servers and clients because of the intervening network.

JimB
2008-01-20, 19:00
I have had no problems with Rhapsody. Ive been using it since the really old days of RealSlim so the integration was very important to me. No issues.

I'm running wired though, didnt see if you were running wireless.

Ive tried Roku, its not a stable device.

Chop
2008-01-20, 23:29
FWIW, I'm running wireless and have had two different ISPs. Also, I have plenty of bandwidth.

What confuses me the most is why is it that I can sit here and flawlessly stream rhapsody through the rhapsody player in my laptop but if I try to play it on my SB2 via the SqueezeNetwork, I have nothing but problems.

smc2911
2008-01-21, 01:35
Have you tried increasing the radio buffer and timeout times (Settings > Network)?

thing-fish
2008-01-22, 09:10
I have a great network, plenty of bandwidth, plenty of resources and Rhapsody works like a charm if I just stream it from the Rhapsody client on a local machine. Of the three other SB owners I know, they all have the same issues when using Rhapsody so I know I'm not alone.

There was a period where I had a lot of trouble with Rhapsody and my Squeezebox, where searching on Squeezenetwork didn't work and/or it was dropping out all the time and/or it wasn't authenticating. But I posted about them here and at least one bug got fixed, and since about mid December every time I've used it (I don't use it every day but do use it almost every weekend) it's been OK. So I did have a really awful rough patch but before and after that time it was OK.

I'm very much looking forward to the official Squeezecenter release with the non-SqueezeNetwork, non-Rhapsody UPnP client integration.

cshaida
2008-01-22, 12:15
I've got 4 sqzbxes and now use rhapsody as my primary source of music--maybe 80% of the aggregate time (the other 20 being with mp3tunes locker--I've got all my cds digitized and sitting on an external hard disk but rarely use slimserver anymore (!) but that's a whole 'nother story.). It works fine (though maybe I've re-set the bar because of my fondness for the whole digital music thing?). More specifically, I do occassionally have problems getting it to search or start but I play whole albums or sequences of albums without issue most of the time. Just a data point...

EnochLight
2008-01-22, 22:26
I generally have periods where Rhapsody works fine... and then periods where it's buggy as hell, even though my desktop plays back fine. That said, I tend to always be in a constant state of beta testing (using SqueezeCenter 7 right now and connecting to SqueezeNetwork Beta too)! *shrugs*

I know, it's a pain in the ass sometimes but it doesn't lock up or drop audio enough for me to jump ship. Yet...