PDA

View Full Version : Transporter inputs limited

wireless200
2008-01-20, 11:14
I was thinking of replacing my SB and Rega Apollo CDP with a Transporter. The thing is, it appears the digital inputs are limited. Suppose I want to run the digital outputs of my DVD and Cable box to the transporter as well. Why didn't they put several optical or digital RF inputs on the transporter? Also even if I use say the optical out from the cable box and the RF out from the DVD, it appears it's not very easy to switch between these inputs on the Transporter. Thoughts?

regards, David

amcluesent
2008-01-20, 11:23
>it appears it's not very easy to switch between these inputs on the Transporter<

And IIRC the firmware bug that causes problems on input switching is still to be properly fixed.

seanadams
2008-01-20, 14:10
I have fixed this and a bunch of other bugs, but I have to wait until 7.0 branches to release a beta. Should be soon.

cliveb
2008-01-20, 16:07
>it appears it's not very easy to switch between these inputs on the Transporter<

And IIRC the firmware bug that causes problems on input switching is still to be properly fixed.
Not everyone has seen this input switching bug on the Transporter. I've had mine for about 14 months and it's never given me a problem in this respect. (That said, I see Sean says he has fixed the bug, so he must have found something that affected some users).

As for using the digital inputs with other sources: I have a PVR connected via optical and a DVD player connected via RCA COAX, and it works fine. That leaves two further electrical inputs available. I can see that only having one optical input might limit you if you've got more than one other source that only has optical out. Perhaps you could use a Toslink-to-COAX converter in that case?

wireless200
2008-01-20, 18:27
Clive, can you explain how you switch between inputs?

Basically after checking earlier today I figure I can optical in from the DVD and Coax in from the Cable box. I'm thinking I'll put my CDs on the computer in lossless format.

Right now I have a SB and a Rega Apollo CDP which the Transporter would replace in that system.

The other option I'm considering is keeping the SB and buy a DAC1 Pre by Benchmark. http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac1pre/

My main interest is in getting the best sound with my Krell amp and making my CD collection more accessible. I have too many CDs to keep them in listening room.

regards, David

cliveb
2008-01-22, 02:08
Clive, can you explain how you switch between inputs?
I use the Digital Inputs plugin. So, at the top level menu, select "Digital Inputs", then pick the one you want (eg. RCA COAX) and press the Play button. To switch back to streaming from SlimServer, just do a Browse or Search, find the music required, and hit Play. I've never had any instance of this failing to work, using a variety of firmwares (starting at 18 back in Dec 2006, and I'm now on version 36).

Of course, sufficient numbers of other users have reported lockup problems that it must be a real issue. I have no idea why I've been lucky and not experienced it. Perhaps it's because my setup is fairly simple (just one TP and one SB2, both using wired ethernet).