PDA

View Full Version : scanner.exe taking ages and consuming CPU

jezbo
2008-01-20, 03:30
What does scanner.exe actually do? I have my server set to use the iTunes database, so it can't be scanning folders for files, can it? Scan of the iTunes xml should take a few seconds only - does it verify the existence of all the song paths found in the iTunes xml perhaps? When I have my NAS turned off (which includes over half my music) I think the songs on there are disappearing from my SS database.

What else does it do? It's taking ages and slowing down my whole pc, consuming a high % of my cpu.

jezbo
2008-01-20, 03:47
It's causing a problem for me because I download some new music, add it to iTunes, and want to play it on my Squeezebox quickly, but I can't get it on the SlimServer database for ages! Why? What can I do to speed this process up?

Vallier
2008-01-20, 04:16
I have the same issue. If I change one component of one track in iTunes, within the hour my machine goes into full scan which consumes my CPU and takes nearly 40 minutes.

I've been poking through the iTunes plugin, but I'm not much of a coder to sort out what it is attempting to do. (and how to make it stop doing it).

ceejay
2008-01-20, 04:45
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToiTunes

Vallier
2008-01-20, 05:13
Thanks!! That's brilliant. The info I found was:

The default setting is to rescan the iTunes library every time it changes and more than an hour has elapsed. If your iTunes scan takes some time and is affecting playback you may wish to increase the interval or disable automatic scanning completely - set the option to 0. You can then use the Rescan plugin to schedule a daily rescan at a convenient time.

I take it the option they are referring to is the itunesscaninterval located in the .pm files?

ceejay
2008-01-20, 05:41
Thanks!! That's brilliant. The info I found was:

The default setting is to rescan the iTunes library every time it changes and more than an hour has elapsed. If your iTunes scan takes some time and is affecting playback you may wish to increase the interval or disable automatic scanning completely - set the option to 0. You can then use the Rescan plugin to schedule a daily rescan at a convenient time.

I take it the option they are referring to is the itunesscaninterval located in the .pm files?

You shouldn't need to edit any files (certainly not any .pm ones!!!), you can set the interval through the web UI (settings). In SC7 go to Settings - iTunes.

Vallier
2008-01-20, 06:03
Perfect! Many thanks. I have set it to "0" so I'll see how it goes. Thanks again.