PDA

View Full Version : Hi-fi connection question

jkslim
2008-01-19, 12:10
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a squeezebox, and was about to until I realised that it doesn't have an amplifier.

So I was going to sell my hifi + replace it with the squeeze box, but it looks like I'll have to keep it now.

Could someone please tell me if I can connect my hifi to the squeezebox? Its a denon ud-m50, but I've no idea what any of its ports/connections do. It seems to be able to take 2 connections of some sort, there is a Line1 input and a Line2 input 'area' on the back. Both line1 and line2 each have 2 connectors (1 red, 1 white).

There is also a couple of small back holes marked system connector.

Finally, if I am able to connect it, would I have to control the volume using the denon remote? That would be a pain, so I hope not.

Many Thanks
Jeremy

Mark Lanctot
2008-01-19, 12:33
See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToConnecting , your Line 1/Line 2 are "analog left/right".

The Squeezebox does have a volume control, but for complicated reasons it's best to keep it high or 100%. I suppose if your usual listening level on the Squeezebox is fairly high this should be OK. I believe it should be kept at 60% or more?

It's no different than a CD player, you need to control the amplifier volume if possible.

jkslim
2008-01-19, 13:21
Thanks for the quick response Mark.

At least I can connect to it then, that's good - although strange they didn't build an amp in!

Cheers
Jeremy

Mark Lanctot
2008-01-19, 13:22
It's never had an amp - personally I'm glad that I get to choose which amp to use, but it has been requested before.

SuperQ
2008-01-19, 15:40
The SqueezeBox will come with a properly color-coded cable to let you hook it up to the Denon. No problem at all.

I think the 16->24 bits thing for volume control was 30-40%.. It's not the right time of day for me to reproduce the math for it.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the audio quality "problems" with respect to the volume control. Just set the squeezebox up to 100%, and then turn the denon just past the point you think it's a tad too loud, and then turn the squeezebox volume down. This is how I calibrated my SB3+T-amp setup.