PDA

View Full Version : Feasible splitting RCA signal?

strindberg
2008-01-17, 05:50
I am thinking of splitting the analog output from my SB3 to an extra pair of speakers. I have tried searching the forums for similar ideas, but haven't really found the specific answers to my questions.

Here's my idea: today I have the analog output from the SB run into a decent home stereo (nothing fancy, but OK). I would like to put some sort of splitter on the RCA cable, and also attach an active speaker set, probably the Aego M, put in my kitchen, which is adjacent to the room where I have my SB. I will not be interested in playing different music in the different rooms, so I don't need another SB/SR. I will never listen in the kitchen without having the stereo turned on as well, but I will do my main listening to the stereo, when the kitchen speakers will not be on.

Now, I wonder:
* Will this degrade the audio quality of the original setup? Will it lower the signal to the stereo, so that I will have to turn up the amplifier volume to acheive the same volume level?
* Is there a limit to how long an RCA cable can be before the signal gets too weak/distorted or similar?
* Is this a reasonable project, or should I look for another solution?

Jesper

moley6knipe
2008-01-17, 07:36
You can split it this way, but you will most likely lose something in the process. Probably best to try it and see if you can live with the resulting audio difference! You should find that sort of lead at Maplins, RS, CPC etc

A better way of splitting an audio signal is to do it via some sort of powered device, so that you're not merely halving the signal, but rather amplifying it and sending it to two places. http://www.boostaroo.com/ is the sort of thing.

Phono cables are unbalanced and therefore, the theory runs, they can run for shorter distances than balanced (such as microphone cables). In my sound engineer days (many years ago!) I kept them to about 12 feet. Again, if you can't hear a problem, then there isn't one :-)

If you've got a set of Tape ins and outs on your hifi amp, why not look to see if there's anyway one of the outs can be fed the incoming signal from the Squeezebox? Then at least you'll have a powered signal source to play with, and all you'll shell out for to try all of this is a long phono cable!

An even better option, if cash allows, is to be a 2nd squeezebox and sync them!

riffer
2008-01-17, 07:44
So you basically want to run the main stereo all the time and be able to switch the kitchen speakers on when you are in the Kitchen?

Do you have any tape output or something from the main stereo?

Rick B.
2008-01-17, 10:17
Or, if your receiver has Speaker B outputs you can use those - you would only need unpowered speakers, then.

zanash
2008-01-17, 10:57
do you mean route the low level signal to an amp or powered speakers ?

some dacs and cdp have two outputs these are often switched but sometines not ...as long as the connections of the signal split are carefully made it should work ...you can by cheap spliter adaptors from maplin or radio shack

Rick B.
2008-01-17, 11:08
do you mean route the low level signal to an amp or powered speakers ?

If you are responding to my suggestion re:Speaker B, no. What I mean is that many receiver's have speaker A and Speaker B terminals that can be switched from the front of the receiver - mine let'e me listen to Speaker A only, speaker B only or both. Regular non-powered speakers only.

strindberg
2008-01-17, 11:40
Thanks for all the replies. My system doesn't seem to have an extra powered output along the lines suggested here, so I guess I'll have to either try to stick with the original plan (possibly with the boostaroo option), or, if it turns out unacceptable quality-wise, to simply buy another squeezebox (or perhaps a receiver once they're available). But that would seem a bit overkill for simple getting the same sound in two adjacent rooms.

Jesper

seanadams
2008-01-17, 11:58
Splitting RCA outputs is totally OK. Signal quality over long runs depends on the quality of the cable. It is easily possible to go across a house with decent cable.

strindberg
2008-01-17, 14:03
That's great news, thanks a lot Sean! I'll have a look at this possibility, then.

Jesper

Gibbo
2008-01-18, 02:47
This is pretty much a carbon copy of what I wanted to do a few months back. got some Aego m's, and in the end decideed to conect them to my SB in my lounge via an logitech wireless music system http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Wireless-Music-System-Players/dp/B000BSRUC2/ref=pd_sbs_ce_title_4 connected via some of these http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr1983.html, it was ok, but not great for what I wanted it for, that was down to the sender though not the splitting, plus I got really fed up of having no control over the music in the kitchen but having to walk back to the lounge to do anything other than volume.

In the end I just bought another SB. made me far happier.

zanash
2008-01-19, 02:37
I agree the cables will be the final arbiter of the sound ....cheap long cable will effectively emasculate the music signal. if your any good with a soldering iron split a cat 5 and use one set of twisted pairs for the cable with some decent plugs ....don't try to go more than 5m even the very best cables will struggle to maintain the integrity of the music signal.

Phil Leigh
2008-01-19, 11:49
I agree the cables will be the final arbiter of the sound ....cheap long cable will effectively emasculate the music signal. if your any good with a soldering iron split a cat 5 and use one set of twisted pairs for the cable with some decent plugs ....don't try to go more than 5m even the very best cables will struggle to maintain the integrity of the music signal.

Although broadly agreeing, I would point out - as I'm sure you know - that in most studios, mastering suites, OB units etc etc you will find cables...expensive cables...much longer than 5 metres! So the integrity will already be gone by the time you get to hear the music anyway!

strindberg
2008-01-29, 00:52
Just a final followup documenting what I did, in case someone else is looking for the same answer.

I bought Audioengine A2 speakers, Y-connectors for the RCA cable, and a 10 meter RCA cable. Cables and Y-connectors have gold-plated connectors and are shielded, but apart from that, nothing fancy (they were not very expensive). I then put the A2s in the kitchen, and hooked them up.

First of all, the A2 speakers are simply fantastic! I turned them on, and was blown away by the quality of the sound, as much as the sheer volume you can get out of these small speakers. They could definitely fill up a kitchen several times as big as mine.

Secondly, with my 10 meter cables, I can hear no difference in sound quality, compared to the short ones supplied with the Squeezebox. This might very well say more about me than about the quality itself, of course, but if you are like me, and appreciate good sound but not a real audiophile, this solution is well above good enough.

zanash
2008-01-29, 01:34
I'm glad you have found a solution.....

the freebie cable with the sb3 is adequate and no more ...if you feel the need to try another cable pm me and I can loan you one...this will be significantly better as I've just had the two back to back.

the sb3 freebie has a rather flat and lifeless presentation in my system and as I say its adequate to get you going it won't trouble a custom made cable.