PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver/Squeezebox Performance Issues

Samson
2008-01-16, 15:00
Hi,

I am experiencing performance issues with my Squeezebox. It runs OK most of the time, but then occasionally (every few days) gets itself into a state where the music keeps dropping out, the screen goes blank, tracks restart randomly. I'd like to determine whether this is due to wireless network issues or server issues.

As suggested here:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?DiagnosingPerformanceIssues
...I set up the Performance Monitoring to log when server response time >0.5. I waited until I had problems then looked in the log and, sure enough, there were a load of entries saying the response time had breached the threshold. The question is: what does this mean? Is my server too slow? Or could it be the network?
I've attached the log.

I'm running Slimserver 6.5.4 on an old IBM Thinkpad T21 which is wired to my Netgear ADSL modem router. The squeezebox3 in question connects wirelessly via a Belkin wireless repeater (because the Netgear can't cover the whole house).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Mark Lanctot
2008-01-17, 14:55
That's server statistics, have you tried player statistics when playing from your personal collection (not SN)?

Sounds like wireless issues. Repeaters keep the signal up but they can't increase bandwidth, they only work with what they can get from the router.

Samson
2008-01-18, 13:44
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the tip. I had a look at the Player Statistics, and I've set some thresholds : <40% signal strength (I generally get 50-70%) and >2 messages in the control connection. Does this sounds reasonable?
I can't really set any thresholds for buffer fullness because it varies all the way from <1 to >20 as its playing songs.
I'll wait until I get problems and look at the log again.

Samson
2008-01-28, 07:49
I've moved the main Netgear router and the music server laptop downstairs and wired them together, so that there is only 1 wireless hop (and 1 wired) between the server and the squeezebox. This seems to have cured the problem.

Thanks for your help

Mark