PDA

View Full Version : SqeezeBox to connect without a router or access point - not working

stax
2008-01-16, 12:36
Hello

Just got my SqueezeBox today together with a D-link DWA-140 wireless USB adapter.
I got no other wireless devices connected to my computer besides that.

Im trying to set up my wireless connection due to the guide: 5996 Configuring a SqeezeBox or Transporter to connect without a router or access point. http://slimdevices.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/slimdevices.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5996&p_created=1168549067&p_sid=IgA4qWVi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9MTAsMTAmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0 mcF9jdj0mcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1pcA**&p_li=&p_topview=1

Everything seems to be working as described in the guide until I reach the part where I should set the IP address of the SB manually, there seems to be no such option.
Instead Sb jumps directly to where it tries to connect to the wireless network. Of course without any luck.

What should i do to solve this?

schatzy
2008-01-16, 19:32
Try the following

1. press and hold the left arrow button until the screen shows
"Squeezebox Setup (x of 5)" on the first line

2. Press teh up or down arrows until the screen shows
"Set Up Netwroking" on the second line

3. Press the right arrow once. the second line should read
"Network Connection (x of 2)" on line one

4. Press the up or down arrow until the display shows
"Connect to an ethernet network" on line two

5. Press the right arrow once. the screen should read
"Set Up Networking (x of 2)"

6. press teh up or down arrow until
"Specify a static ip address" si showing on line two

7.Press the right arrow once.
The second line of the display will now be ready to take the IP address.

To set the IP address use the up down arrow keys to change the number in the highlighted block. Use the right arrow key to move to the next block until all 9 blocks are set. Then continue on with the instructions.

Schatzy

stax
2008-01-17, 01:23
Thanks for the answer.

Anyway, I got it working by myself at last.

In fact, the SB doesn't need to have an IP number specified to be able to connect to the network.
The error is in the faq, because it is not mentioned anywhere that you have to set up the network as "ad hoc".
This is crucial because otherwise the computer doesn't broadcast any signal for the SB to connect with.
As soon as I created an ad hoc network the SB connected without any problems and the rest of the set up process was very easy and straight forward.

Here is a guide how to correctly set up the network: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/adhoc.mspx#2
maybe it's a good idea to update the faq with this information as well.

Cheers // stax