PDA

View Full Version : Muliple tracks on one album

Timbo22
2008-01-16, 11:01
Hi everone,
Just as I thought I was getting the hang of it. I scanned some new tunes, using iTunes and on some albums the same tracks play up to 3 times. So I did a rescan clearing library, but there they are again. Pulling my hair out were holding a party on saturday and in a stupid blaze of confidence, have given my old HiFi to a friend.
Hope someone can help.
Many thanks,
Tim.

Siduhe
2008-01-16, 11:21
A few more details might help:

what OS?

what type of files?

what version of Slimserver?

what version of Itunes?

are you using MusicIP?

how are you importing music into your library (just using Itunes or have you also put an entry into the Music Folder in Slimserver)?

If you look at the file details in Slimserver (click into the song properties) are they identical - particularly is the file path identical?

At a guess, you may have stay playlists or cue sheets which refer to these songs in different ways.

So, for example you have a single d:/song.mp3 in a folder, but also a playlist which refers to the song as //Mediaserver/song.mp3 (same song) or a cue sheet or a link to the folder or song somewhere on your hard drive. All of these could lead to duplicate entries in Slimserver.

The other important thing to check are that the tags in the song are consistent - Itunes won't show you every tag that is in there, so use something like mp3tag. If you have an mp3 file and the ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags are inconsistent, it might cause Slimserver to list it as two or more files. Force (resave) the tags and do a full clear and rescan.

Finally, are the affected albums various artist albums? If so, what is the Artist and AlbumArtist tag set to?

Timbo22
2008-01-16, 14:35
A few more details might help:

what OS?

what type of files?

what version of Slimserver?

what version of Itunes?

are you using MusicIP?

how are you importing music into your library (just using Itunes or have you also put an entry into the Music Folder in Slimserver)?

If you look at the file details in Slimserver (click into the song properties) are they identical - particularly is the file path identical?

At a guess, you may have stay playlists or cue sheets which refer to these songs in different ways.

So, for example you have a single d:/song.mp3 in a folder, but also a playlist which refers to the song as //Mediaserver/song.mp3 (same song) or a cue sheet or a link to the folder or song somewhere on your hard drive. All of these could lead to duplicate entries in Slimserver.

The other important thing to check are that the tags in the song are consistent - Itunes won't show you every tag that is in there, so use something like mp3tag. If you have an mp3 file and the ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags are inconsistent, it might cause Slimserver to list it as two or more files. Force (resave) the tags and do a full clear and rescan.

Finally, are the affected albums various artist albums? If so, what is the Artist and AlbumArtist tag set to?

Thankyou for the reply,
I am getting on a bit and have a non technical mind. I dont know what an OS is or music IP. I have a Squeezebox 3, I loaded some MP3 tunes from a CD, which was easy enough, but I couldnt load my standard CDs in the same way. I wish I could.

My daughter loads her iPod using iTunes, so I thought I would try that, and it works, but thats where the problem is. Whole albums with the same tracks 3 times are all from iTunes.

I cant find 'Song properties'I dont know what MP3 tags are or how to find them. both the MP3 files and iTunes are stored on a LaCie external Hard drive under LaCie E:/.
Hope someone can help a techi newby.
Many thanks,
Tim.

Ur[s]uS
2008-01-16, 16:10
Thankyou for the reply,
I am getting on a bit and have a non technical mind. I dont know what an OS is or music IP. I have a Squeezebox 3, I loaded some MP3 tunes from a CD, which was easy enough, but I couldnt load my standard CDs in the same way. I wish I could.

My daughter loads her iPod using iTunes, so I thought I would try that, and it works, but thats where the problem is. Whole albums with the same tracks 3 times are all from iTunes.

I cant find 'Song properties'I dont know what MP3 tags are or how to find them. both the MP3 files and iTunes are stored on a LaCie external Hard drive under LaCie E:/.
Hope someone can help a techi newby.
Many thanks,
Tim.

OS = operating system: Windows or Mac OS or Linux etc
when you say "from iTunes" - you mean downloaded from iTunes music store or ripped from CDs you own using iTunes?
it is hard to say what your problem is - it is probably that the music files are not "tidy" - so to speak - so that there are slight differences in naming (like capital first letters and extra spaces) or that there are other files in there that cross reference
you'll need to explain a bit more what has happened, what the files are, what slimserver reports on screen, anything else helpful

chances are this is an easy fix

if you want to rip more of you own CDs, suggest reading the wiki
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToRipping
i use EAC, you should be able to use iTunes - maybe try dBpoweramp - it used ot be simple to use

anyway - for the party at the weekend, do you want to play your own CDs or those your daughter likes? if the former, just point slimserver at a folder that excludes "the itunes music"

Timbo22
2008-01-16, 17:33
uS;259540']OS = operating system: Windows or Mac OS or Linux etc
when you say "from iTunes" - you mean downloaded from iTunes music store or ripped from CDs you own using iTunes?
it is hard to say what your problem is - it is probably that the music files are not "tidy" - so to speak - so that there are slight differences in naming (like capital first letters and extra spaces) or that there are other files in there that cross reference
you'll need to explain a bit more what has happened, what the files are, what slimserver reports on screen, anything else helpful

chances are this is an easy fix

if you want to rip more of you own CDs, suggest reading the wiki
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToRipping
i use EAC, you should be able to use iTunes - maybe try dBpoweramp - it used ot be simple to use

anyway - for the party at the weekend, do you want to play your own CDs or those your daughter likes? if the former, just point slimserver at a folder that excludes "the itunes music"

Hi Urs
Yes its my own ripped CDs that are the problem. Sorry I Dont know what you mean, when you ask 'what the files are' and 'how are they named'? They name themselves, none of my ripped CDs are replicated in the Downloaded MP3 tunes. You ask 'What Simserver reports on screen' It shows the multiple tracks. I tried deleting them but they come back when I leave and return.
Cheers my friend,
Tim

Timbo22
2008-01-17, 08:48
Hi all,
Managed to correct the multiple tracks by deleting unwanted ones that showed on iTunes and rescaning, they appear as doubles on SB, but play in order, I'm fine with that.

There is one album thats being a pain and its a favourite which is played quite frequently. It is a copy from a friend, and has been fine on SB until now.

On iTunes the tracks look fine no doubles or trebles. But on slimserver each track shows 3 times and plays 3 times. I have tried deleting by clicking the last box on each track on playlist, and it removes the unwanted tracks and the album plays fine, but when I come back to it, the unwanted multiple tracks have returned.
Is there a way of permanently deleting album tracks using Slimserver?
Many thanks for your help,
Tim.

Khuli
2008-01-18, 02:29
Hi Tim

As you have found, removing stuff from the playlist does not delete it. If the file really has multiple copies, you will will have to locate the copies (i.e. with Windows Explorer) and delete the files. You then tell SlimServer to 'Clear and Rescan' your music library.

If you click on the album to get the track listing up (on the left) and then hover the cursor over a link to the song, you should be able to see the network path to where the file is actually saved. This may help you find the cause of the copies.

In regard to Ur's post.. and 'how are they named', I think he meant 'what format are the names' e.g 01-Estonia-This Strange Engine-Marillion.mp3
This may help to check if SlimServer is using the actual tags in the mp3 file, or guessing the data from the filename format.

Timbo22
2008-01-18, 07:34
Hi Khuli,
Thanks for the info, will follow your advice and get back to you.
Cheers,
Tim.

Timbo22
2008-01-20, 09:19
Hi Tim

As you have found, removing stuff from the playlist does not delete it. If the file really has multiple copies, you will will have to locate the copies (i.e. with Windows Explorer) and delete the files. You then tell SlimServer to 'Clear and Rescan' your music library.

If you click on the album to get the track listing up (on the left) and then hover the cursor over a link to the song, you should be able to see the network path to where the file is actually saved. This may help you find the cause of the copies.

In regard to Ur's post.. and 'how are they named', I think he meant 'what format are the names' e.g 01-Estonia-This Strange Engine-Marillion.mp3

This may help to check if SlimServer is using the actual tags in the mp3 file, or guessing the data from the filename format.

Hi,
Hope I did what you said correctly, when I hovered over tracks each one came up with MPEG-4 Audio File. I searched for that in music files but nothing came up.I am not sure if I was in Windows explorer, I cant find it in accessories, so I looked in Windows Media Player and got the info there.
Cheers,
Tim.

Timbo22
2008-01-22, 09:46
Just the two standard albums left now. one repeats same track twice and the other three times. So far I have traced them back to my external hard drive, no replication there.

Wiped everthing and reloaded, still the same. Removed offending albums from iTunes, put them back on and rescaned, still the same.

So far I havent, removed the albums from iTunes, rescaned, put them back on itunes, and done a second scan.
Because the scanning is becoming a problem as well. see my other thread. I am using Slimserver 6.5.4 Should I to load the latest 7. version?
But reading through other threads thats not without its problems.
Cheers,
PS. Party went well, thank you for your advice Ur[s]uS
Tim.