PDA

View Full Version : Support Form Issues and Empty Playlists

pRC
2008-01-15, 19:38
I really tried to use the support form under the support link, but ran into several usability problems...

1) It won't recognize my existing registration login, instead it wants me to register again

2) But it won't let me register again using the same email address I used when I registered - oops, now I'm stuck.

3) It won't take a phone number unless it has the exact (###) ###-#### format -- and it does not re-insert your other entries back into the form when it gives you an error, so you have to re-type everything (and phone number is an optional field, shouldn't you really be more forgiving, not less, for that data?)

This was using Firefox 2.0.0.11 on windows XP. I thought it might be an IE-only form, but it was the same when I switched browsers.

Come on, guys.

Since I cannot finish submitting the problem via the support channel after multiple attempts, here it is:

I purchased an SB3 in Spring 2007 (during the White sale) and installed SlimServer on my Sony VAIO with Windows XP. I really loved the convenience of having music accessible, and I scanned my entire CD library as FLAC files and put my disc collection into storage. I currently have 360+ GB of tracks stored on a 500GB external drive with another backup drive safely stored elsewhere. I liked the SqueezeBox so much I convinced at least three other people to buy an SB3.

During the Summer I spent many days (weeks, really) building playlists through SlimServer of various genres, and enjoying the music in my system.

In November we moved and due to some VAIO system changes the playlists stopped working (external drive had a new address assigned). I've since edited the playlist files and corrected the path information, but all my playlists come up as empty when I try to view them in SlimServer or play them through the SB3. It's taken me a while to get around to this post due to unpacking from the move, general Holiday brouhaha, and the 4 days I've spent searching this forum and the SlimDevices site.

Background:
The SB3 runs on our 802.11g Wifi network, while the VAIO is connected directly to the wifi hub via Ethernet. SlimServer running is version 6.5.4 - I re-downloaded and re-installed over the weekend, but no joy.

The Playlists are all visible, and when I open them in a text editor everything is still intact, but I cannot play or edit them through SlimServer.

Playlists that point to internet radio stations still work fine. But I also have the playlist stopping/dropout problem with my SB3, both back before the move, and with radio feeds today.

I tried moving the playlist directory in SlimServer, and it found the edited playlists and scanned them, but they are still empty.

It looks like other people have reported this from time to time, but no solution has been offered - any ideas out there?

This is very frustrating. I really do not want to recreate all of the playlists again, and given the, ahem, *eclectic* nature of my music collection I don't really trust random track selection for parties, etc. This has sucked some of the fun out of using the SB3...

Thanks for letting me vent -

/pRC

(Hey, while I'm here, you may want to have someone look at your search for the forums - I frequently get white screens with exceptions like:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1024 bytes) in /www/forums.slimdevices.com/search.php on line 842
instead of an appropriate error message - if my query is getting too many records, please tell me so.)

JJZolx
2008-01-15, 21:52
In November we moved and due to some VAIO system changes the playlists stopped working (external drive had a new address assigned). I've since edited the playlist files and corrected the path information, but all my playlists come up as empty when I try to view them in SlimServer or play them through the SB3. It's taken me a while to get around to this post due to unpacking from the move, general Holiday brouhaha, and the 4 days I've spent searching this forum and the SlimDevices site.

Are you running SlimServer as a Windows service or as a user program?

Do you know if SlimServer can "see" the external drive?

Are you sure you edited the paths so that they're correct from the perspective of the SlimServer machine? What I mean is that if you were to edit them from a PC on your network, the files might appear to be on drive "M" drive for that PC, but might be drive "E" on the server. Or if you edit them on another PC, you might use UNC paths, but need to use local drive paths for the server.

pRC
2008-01-16, 05:26
Are you running SlimServer as a Windows service or as a user program?

As a user program, set to be accessible by all users...

Do you know if SlimServer can "see" the external drive?

Well, I can browse to all the music via File Folder or Genre, or Artist, etc. All the music will play, but the Playlists are empty.

Are you sure you edited the paths so that they're correct from the perspective of the SlimServer machine? What I mean is that if you were to edit them from a PC on your network, the files might appear to be on drive "M" drive for that PC, but might be drive "E" on the server. Or if you edit them on another PC, you might use UNC paths, but need to use local drive paths for the server.

My old drive mapping from 'My Computer' was J:\
and the old playlists had, for example:
J:\music\ext\Jazz\Exodus Quartet\Way Out There\09. Orbit.flac

New mapping is from 'My Computer' is F:\
edited Playlist example:
F:\music\ext\Jazz\Exodus Quartet\Way Out There\09. Orbit.flac

Is there a way to tell from slimserver what it is using for mapping? Please educate me on how to check that!

/pRC

pRC
2008-01-17, 06:36
OK, I can create a new playlist within SlimServer and it will play. Here's a sample line from the playlist I just created and tested:

F:\music\ext\Compilations\I'll Take You There\03. Aretha Franklin - (You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman.flac

...and here's a sample line from one of the empty playlists in the same directory
F:\music\ext\Blues\Nina Simone\Saga of the Good Life and Hard Times\06. Do I Move You (Version 2).flac

(in those paths \ext\ is a shortcut that links from my mapping in slimServer - c:\music\ to the external harddrive.

So all the music is running from the external harddrive mounted as F: - and the edits I made to the existing playlists should allow them to play.

Hrm. What's next?

BTW, I got an unsolicited eMail from SlimDevices support yesterday and we're working on it, but I thought you would want another piece of evidence to chew on. If support comes up with a solution, I'll post it here for future searches...

/pRC

pRC
2008-01-17, 17:09
OK, following a support request I copied one of my music directories into my c:\music\ directory and re-scanned playlists, then created a new playlist - and the new playlist worked fine.

I noticed though that my playlists had *doubled*, except for the new one - with one version of each working, and one version empty.

This did not happen yesterday when I added the new playlist from a cut on the external drive.

Somehow, after 10+ attempts to rescan, this time it picked up the paths change, but created them as new playlists?

To try to fix the doubling, I ran a complete clear and re-scan... 30 minutes later the doubles are gone and my old playlists are working again. Cool!

But all is not perfect - I cannot open or edit any playlist 5k or larger in SlimServer, the page re-loads as a blank view and a refresh puts me back at the home view. Urk. My playlists vary between 1k and 40k, and I'd like to be able to modify all of them over time... Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help -

/pRC