PDA

View Full Version : Cat among the pigeons

luuk
2008-01-13, 05:34
Let me start by saying that I have been a very happy and dedicated SB (2) user for a few years now. But, I am now setting up a dedicated home cinema and this raises several questions about how to transport music there from my server. Inevitably I find my mind turning to non-SB solutions because I would also want to transport pictures/video from the server as well. Yet I am reluctant to do so. I have some experience using a PS3 to do precisely that, and this has been less than satisfying. Wouldn't it be great if SBs could also transport images and video? Are there any plans in this direction?

Luuk

Phil Leigh
2008-01-13, 05:35
why dont you just run a PopcornHour alongside the sb?

luuk
2008-01-13, 05:57
Sure, popcorn would be nice too, but the crackling might disturb the music experience. But seriously, whether one streams music or images or video is all basically the same thing. Since the SB can do the one so well, is it too much to hope it might also be put to good use in the other areas ?

Gibbo
2008-01-13, 06:20
I'm shocked it doesn't actually make popcorn!!!

http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/

Phil Leigh
2008-01-13, 09:18
Sure, popcorn would be nice too, but the crackling might disturb the music experience. But seriously, whether one streams music or images or video is all basically the same thing. Since the SB can do the one so well, is it too much to hope it might also be put to good use in the other areas ?

My answer was deadly serious - the PopcornHour is to video what the SB is to music!

pichonCalavera
2008-01-13, 13:15
I don't think there are plans right now to change the focus from Audio to other areas, and if the new Duet is any indication, it's focus will be Audio at least for a while, because the Squeezebox Controller is aimed directly to controlling Music.

My answer was deadly serious - the PopcornHour is to video what the SB is to music!

The PopcornHour has caught my attention, Unfortunetly, their webpage is not very clear, what is exactly?, the player that it's shown there is the client and you install some kind of software on their server to stream to the client?

ceejay
2008-01-13, 13:51
The PopcornHour has caught my attention, Unfortunetly, their webpage is not very clear, what is exactly?, the player that it's shown there is the client and you install some kind of software on their server to stream to the client?

There are quite a few players of this general type - I've recently acquired a Netgear EVA8000 myself. Most of these players use either a uPnP server or an SMB file share to access their data.

My experience so far is that because of the considerably greater complexity of streaming video (there are so many file types, formats, containers...) these products are not very mature.

You could think of all of them as being like a Squeezebox for video, though. (NB - that's a horrible over-simplification but its a good starter).

The network issues associated with streaming full-resolution (never mind HD) video make the debates here over wireless LAN issues look very simple, though!

Ceejay

peter
2008-01-13, 14:22
pichonCalavera wrote:
> I don't think there are plans right now to change the focus from Audio
> to other areas, and if the new Duet is any indication, it's focus will
> be Audio at least for a while, because the Squeezebox Controller is
> aimed directly to controlling Music.
>

Why? Why not use the scroll wheel for selecting video files and play
them with fast forward and pause functions? I might hack something like
that together sometime to control mplayer on my Linux box (connected to
my TV with AV over CAT5).

Regards,
Peter

funkstar
2008-01-13, 16:00
Well SlimDevices is now the Streaming Media Division of Logitech, so you never know. But I wouldn't hold my breath, i wouldn't put money on them releasing a video capable solution for some time yet.

thomsens
2008-01-13, 18:01
Let me start by saying that I have been a very happy and dedicated SB (2) user for a few years now. But, I am now setting up a dedicated home cinema and this raises several questions about how to transport music there from my server. Inevitably I find my mind turning to non-SB solutions because I would also want to transport pictures/video from the server as well. Yet I am reluctant to do so. I have some experience using a PS3 to do precisely that, and this has been less than satisfying. Wouldn't it be great if SBs could also transport images and video? Are there any plans in this direction?

Luuk

I have an RG6 running from my TP to my newly installed theater area. I just use the SPDF to supply the same music (or I just don't turn amp at the TP on when I only want to hear it in my theater).

I just got a PS3...I think it's a great media adapter (relatively speaking). I've had terrible luck with a Denon 4308 and the Pioneer Media Gallery on the Pro-150FD. I have very little confidence in DLNA products...however the PS3 blows the others away so far.

scbuzz
2008-01-14, 06:42
There are quite a few players of this general type - I've recently acquired a Netgear EVA8000 myself. Most of these players use either a uPnP server or an SMB file share to access their data.

My experience so far is that because of the considerably greater complexity of streaming video (there are so many file types, formats, containers...) these products are not very mature.

You could think of all of them as being like a Squeezebox for video, though. (NB - that's a horrible over-simplification but its a good starter).

The network issues associated with streaming full-resolution (never mind HD) video make the debates here over wireless LAN issues look very simple, though!

Ceejay

About a year ago, I bought a Buffalo LinkTheater networked DVD play. It has it's own quirks (i.e., not all formats are recognized), but overall I'm pleased with it.

The video files are stored on a Buffalo TeraStation NAS, but I don't use the NAS' media server. Instead, I installed wizd on a linux server (same machine where the slimserver runs) and it does a good job of serving up video. The house network is fully wired, so I don't have bandwidth problems (GigE between NAS and server, 100M between server and LinkTheater).

The slimdevices and the LinkTheater are a nice combination and using the Harmony remote alleviates the "remote clutter".

--Buzz