PDA

View Full Version : What about New Benchmark DAC1 PRE(preamp)

eiret
2008-01-12, 12:57
Benchmark announces the DAC1 PRE Stereo Playback Pre-amplifier at T.H.E. Show at St. Tropez Suite 1103 during the CES show in Las Vegas, NV, January 7-10, 2008
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/node/121

Some discussion in headfi forum:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/benchmark-dac1-now-available-usb-223006/index118.html

Many peaple in slimdevices forum use external dac`s. Any comments about this new DAC1 PRE? Positive or negative.

NewBuyer
2008-01-12, 19:11
Benchmark announces the DAC1 PRE Stereo Playback Pre-amplifier at T.H.E. Show at St. Tropez Suite 1103 during the CES show in Las Vegas, NV, January 7-10, 2008
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/node/121

Some discussion in headfi forum:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/benchmark-dac1-now-available-usb-223006/index118.html

Many peaple in slimdevices forum use external dac`s. Any comments about this new DAC1 PRE? Positive or negative.

Looks very interesting. Thanks for posting this.

gregeas
2008-01-13, 06:17
I'm still not sure if it has IR control. If it doesn't, I don't think it makes much sense as a pre-amp (in a home system).

I've been using my Transporter to convert and switch audio signals from my cable box and game consoles, and it does a fairly nice job.

The problems are that sources can't be switched with one button push, and a bug that requires power cycling when switching digital signals.

eiret
2008-01-13, 17:45
>I'm still not sure if it has IR control. If it doesn't, I don't think it makes much sense as a pre-amp (in a home system).

I agree. In a livingroom no remote control is a design miss.

slimkid
2008-01-13, 22:09
Besides a remote, it's not clear whether audio outputs are fixed or variable. What about balanced outputs, fixed or variable? Can the analog audio input be passed out through balanced outputs? Lots of unknowns that might decide if it makes a cut for a preamp.

However, if somebody finds this concept interesting, than, you might want to know that CityPulse 7.2x has those features (+remote, volume control works on analog stage) for approx 4 times less money.

In my experience, if one wants to go with the external DAC, than it's worth exploring the possibility to delete the preamp. And (again in my experience :) )analog volume control beats passive attenuation in usability.

K

eiret
2008-01-14, 08:29
>it's not clear whether audio outputs are fixed or variable

On the rear panel to the left DA1 PRE has a button switch control. You can switch between Output level-Calibrated, Mute, Variable.

>What about balanced outputs, fixed or variable?

I think a user have the possibility of selecting this.

> Can the analog audio input be passed out through balanced outputs?

There are two analog outputs. I hope it does.

> In my experience, if one wants to go with the external DAC, than it's worth exploring the possibility to delete the preamp. And (again in my experience :) )analog volume control beats passive attenuation in usability.

It deletes the need for a preamp. DAC1 PRE has a analog volume control.

opaqueice
2008-01-14, 09:09
There's a discussion in the last few pages of this thread, with comments by the Benchmark engineer.

There's no remote control.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/benchmark-dac1-now-available-usb-223006/index120.html

eiret
2008-01-14, 10:56
Quoted from this tread.

EliasGwin Appliction enginner.

The analog inputs of the DAC1 PRE are routed to both the unbalanced RCA outputs and the balanced XLR outputs.

The main differences between the DAC1 PRE and the DAC1 USB:

-DAC1 PRE has 5 digital inputs (USB, optical, coax(x3))
-DAC1 USB has 4 digital inputs (USB, optical, coax(x1), and XLR)
-DAC1 PRE uses teflon chassis-mounted RCA analog and digital connectors
-DAC1 USB uses PCB mounted RCA connectors
-DAC1 PRE has 3 gain ranges for the HPA2 headphone amplifier
-DAC1 USB has 2 gain ranges for the HPA2 headphone amplifier
-DAC1 PRE uses National Instrument LM4562 opamps throughout the analog circuits
-DAC1 USB uses 5532's every except the output drivers, which uses the 4562's
-DAC1 PRE has power button
-DAC1 USB does not have power button

jdh500
2008-01-14, 15:02
Would be good if it had the option of HT-Bypass on the analogue input (for integration with HT setup), I also wonder if it retains the auto turn on/off feature of the DAC1 USB model.

I already own an original DAC1 and have been very happy with it even at its higher cost to other DACs like the Citypulse etc.

JDH.

Quoted from this tread.

EliasGwin Appliction enginner.

The analog inputs of the DAC1 PRE are routed to both the unbalanced RCA outputs and the balanced XLR outputs.

The main differences between the DAC1 PRE and the DAC1 USB:

-DAC1 PRE has 5 digital inputs (USB, optical, coax(x3))
-DAC1 USB has 4 digital inputs (USB, optical, coax(x1), and XLR)
-DAC1 PRE uses teflon chassis-mounted RCA analog and digital connectors
-DAC1 USB uses PCB mounted RCA connectors
-DAC1 PRE has 3 gain ranges for the HPA2 headphone amplifier
-DAC1 USB has 2 gain ranges for the HPA2 headphone amplifier
-DAC1 PRE uses National Instrument LM4562 opamps throughout the analog circuits
-DAC1 USB uses 5532's every except the output drivers, which uses the 4562's
-DAC1 PRE has power button
-DAC1 USB does not have power button

eiret
2008-01-14, 16:35
>Would be good if it had the option of HT-Bypass on the analogue input (for integration with HT setup), I also wonder if it retains the auto turn on/off feature of the DAC1 USB model.

Interesting. That question has not been asked yet, i think.
I have only looked at pictures front/rear and reading the headfi thread.

My friendly advice is to post the question in this thread in headfi forum http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/benchmark-dac1-now-available-usb-223006/index120.html Maybe the applicaton engineer or others will answer. I have posted some questions there my self. Like som of them above.Looking forward to read the answer here or there.

eiret
2008-01-14, 22:32
Jhon500?

I posted your question in the headfi forum for you. I was curious my self.

eiret
2008-01-15, 09:06
Regarding digital sourches connected to digital in on dac1.
"The DAC1 is compatible with any 2-channel PCM data. Therefore, if a DVD video (or DVD audio or BlueRay or HD-DVD) is formated with 2-channel PCM audio, the DAC1 will convert it properly. Also, even if the audio on a disc is not PCM format, many DVD players will convert the audio to PCM"

Is it the same rule for Transporter and most other dac`s?