PDA

View Full Version : Autoscan

Vallier
2008-01-12, 11:10
Is there any way to turn off the autoscan? For a whole slew of reasons, I would prefer to scan my system manually. The autoscan takes a very long time and tends to soak up all of my CPU usage.

haunyack
2008-01-12, 11:15
I would prefer to scan my system manually.

Same for me.
I add, delete or change 1 track and SC rescans my entire collection (95,000+) twice - (SC+MIP).
More often than not, during the 4 hour proceess, the server hiccups, burps and barfs all over my listening session.
Kill scanner.exe process does not work as SC restarts the process persistently.
I ended up moving scanner.exe out of the server folder.
The server freaks when it cannot find the scanner executable, filling up the log.

S'ok..all is good.
I love the music.

Zaragon
2008-01-13, 06:41
I don't believe that the SlimServer does that out of the box. It normally only scans on demand. It is shipped with a plug in that can schedule a rescan once a day.

Have you installed the AutoRecan plugin. This plugin does what you describe in that it rescans everytime you add or change something. (Only for SC7)

If you look at the server settings plugin page you have the option to disable any plugin and also to configure them to your liking.

Are you using the iTunes library feature? I don't have iTunes but I think that may do something everything you add/change something which may be triggering the scan.

haunyack
2008-01-13, 08:15
I don't believe that the SlimServer does that out of the box.

Yes..out of the box.

Have you installed the AutoRecan plugin.

No

If you look at the server settings plugin page

Rescan Music Library timer is off. (SC7)

Are you using the iTunes library feature?

No

Zaragon
2008-01-13, 11:56
Ah SC7. Sorry I've not tried SC7 yet so unfortunately I can't help there.

haunyack
2008-01-13, 14:00
Ah SC7. Sorry I've not tried SC7 yet so unfortunately I can't help there.

That's ok Zaragon, thanks for the input.
I've had my rant and the work-around does the job well enough for now.

Bottoms up!

Zaragon
2008-01-13, 16:07
Since SC7 isn't released yet try dropping a message into the development forums. I'd guess most of them would see it here but it can't hurt or even register a bug/feature request.

haunyack
2008-01-13, 16:10
Since SC7 isn't released yet try dropping a message into the development forums. I'd guess most of them would see it here but it can't hurt or even register a bug/feature request.

Hi Z,

I think it may be an MIP issue as the MIP server triggers the rescan (I think).
MIP support sucks so I'll just live with the minor annoyance.

kdf
2008-01-13, 16:16
Hi Z,

I think it may be an MIP issue as the MIP server triggers the rescan (I think).
MIP support sucks so I'll just live with the minor annoyance.

Setting MusicIP rescan interval to 0 should shut off the triggered rescan for MIP
-kdf

haunyack
2008-01-13, 16:19
Setting MusicIP rescan interval to 0 should shut off the triggered rescan for MIP
-kdf

ooh...thanks kdf.
I'll give it a go right now (er..after the MIP import is finished)
Then I'll add some new music.