PDA

View Full Version : Install probs. on Qnap TS-109

caschmidt
2008-01-12, 09:57
I have got myself a Qnap TS-109Pro and are about to install SlimServer, in order to use a SqueezeBox, but it doesn’t seem to be working too well for me:

I’ve found a manual for downloading and installing the SS at http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=36703, where “NASKID” has posted a very good guide to the installation process. Unfortunately it seems to have gotten too old, as the links mentioned in that thread is invalid.

I’ve found another manual for downloading and installing the SS at http://progressiveav.com/ts109install/ and following the instructions there Putty’s prompts were these:

[/share/HDA_DATA/Public] # ./install-ts10x-20x.sh
debian-4.0-arm-2007-07-15.gz
debian-4.0-arm-2007-07-15.gz is not a regular file
Re-run this script with no parameters for help.
[/share/HDA_DATA/Public] # ./install-ts10x-20x.sh
debian-4.0-arm-2007-07-15
Installing to: /share/HDA_DATA/Public/etch
creating directories ...
installing linux image ...
gzip: Invalid magic
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
Looking for host pool.ntp.org and service ntp
hos found : 0x503e52a6.arcnxx10.adsl-dhcp.tele.dk
12 Jan 14:40:52 ntpdate[2233]: adjust time server 80.62.82.166 offset
0.042854 sec
TS-109 detected - mounting mtdblock5
modifying startup scripts ...
Executing startup script (starting slimserver)
Please wait ...
mount: mount point /share/HDA_DATA/etch/dev does not exist
mount: mount point /share/HDA_DATA/etch/proc does not exist
mount: mount point /share/HDA_DATA/etch/bus/usb does not exist
mount: mount point /share/HDA_DATA/etch/ext/updates does not exist
mount: mount point /share/HDA_DATA/etch/ext/Qmultimedia does not exist
mount: special device /share/HDA_DATA/etch/opt/slimserver/Plugins does
not exist
ls: //share/HDA_DATA/etch/ext/extchroot-bin/ : No such file or
directory
chroot: cannot execute ls: No such file or directory
Installed. Please be patient while slimserver starts up for the first
time and scans your collection
Your music should be copied into the "Qmultimedia" share
[/share/HDA_DATA/Public] #

After this: nothing!

All I got out of this is that my server now no longer calls itself “QNAP” but “Slim-Server-109”

What’s wrong?
How do I proceed?

Something tells me that there might be something wrong with the “debian-file” since Putty doesn’t recognize it with the *.gz extension.

Any suggestions?

Sincerely desperately
caschmidt

willyhoops
2008-01-15, 01:56
send it back and buy a qnap with slimserver preinstalled.

rperkin
2008-01-17, 15:33
I'm also a new QNAP user, this time with a newly-acquired TS-209 Pro. And I didn't buy it with SlimServer pre-installed. When purchased (used) it had one 500 GByte Seagate disk installed; I installed a second 500 GByte disk so I can use a RAID1 configuration.

I followed the instructions on the site of the UK QNAP distributor (Ultimate Storage Ltd), who pre-load systems with the Progressive distro/mods. Find the info here:
http://www.store2go.net/shop/discountstore/p/category/0707188450-QNAP+Progressive/

The info there is basically the same as that on the Progressive site, but I found it a little confusing and checked that I was doing this correctly and had the correct data. This is what I did:
- using IE6 as the browser, downloaded the files from the (slow!) links on the page above
- checked that the .gz and .tgz files were OK by opening them in WinZip
- checked the contents of the .sh file by opening it with WordPad
- noted that the filenames were slightly different from those in the instructions
- logged into the QNAP web-based administration on port 8080 and used System Tools | Remote login to enable Telnet connection
- opened a command prompt and used the command:
telnet <ip address of qnap> 13131
and username/password to connect to a shell prompt [Note: no angle brackets of course!]
- followed the instructions, pasting in the (different) filenames as necessary using the right-click menu. I had previously copied these by starting to rename the file in Windows Explorer. This avoids typing in a complex filename

It all went quite smoothly. The only error message that I received was when an NTP server couldn't be found. This was because the QNAP was not on-line but connected directly to a laptop for the installation.

Having installed 6.5.3 I then went ahead with the update to 6.5.4 as also described in the link above. Again, the downloaded filename was slightly different so I copied/pasted the exact filename to the command line. I restarted the QNAP from the web-based config, and SlimServer 6.5.4 was running successfully.

From the console output you have given, it looks as if the downloaded files are corrupt. Try downloading them again and check that they can be successfully opened (as above) before installing them.

Notes:
1. I like my servers to have a static local IP address, so I had previously configured the QNAP to be at 192.168.0.250 with appropriate subnet mask, gateway address, and ISP's DNS server address
2. I has previously edited the hosts file (in windows\system32\drivers\etc) to map the name 'nas' (no quotes) to the IP address of the device. So the command I actually used to connect was:
telnet nas 13131
3. If you do something like this, you can then access the QNAP admin via your browser using:
http://nas:8080
and Slimserver using:
http://nas:9001
and of course save these in your Favorites
4. Note the SlimServer port has been changed in the Progressive distro to avoid conflict with the TwonkyVision server provided in the QNAP firmware
5. One other thing to note is that you need to configure any software firewall to allow communication between the QNAP and the systems on your network. Depending on what you are using to will need to create a rule, make an entry in the trusted zone or whatever. In general and unless you are feeling unduly paranoid, it is OK to allow all traffic on all ports and protocols between all addresses in your local network
6. For accessing the Linux command line I didn't bother loading SSH using Putty. Telnet is fine for a local connection; however, if I needed to login across the Internet then Telnet is insecure and SSH should be used
7. I had previously updated the QNAP firmware to the latest stable firmware (1.1.4 at the time). Note that the instructions refer to updating to 1.1.2 - clearly they haven't been checked recently.

Just a comment: I found all this straightforward - but I have a professional IT background. I can see that the average end user could find it all quite intimidating. It would greatly help if QNAP themselves, or their UK distributors, or Progressive AV would provide an accurate, foolproof, well documented, well presented set of installation instructions which have been properly tested by end users, and not just the technically knowledgeable. But perhaps, given the extensive range of features and functions, the QNAP perhaps isn't aimed at the 'average end user'...

I should end by saying that the QNAP appears to be a good, well engineered product. SlimServer runs well (although the web-based interface is fairly slow) and does the job. And I'm very pleased with the Squeezebox. The whole setup is quite impressive - my son can even access SlimServer (and so control what's playing through the Squeezebox) via the browser + wireless connection in his Nokia N95 phone!

Hope this helps