PDA

View Full Version : Pre Sales Enquiry

HydeTheDarkerSide
2008-01-10, 14:34
Hi Folks

I'm looking to purchase a squeezebox and use it with my B&O 3300 Hi-Fi via it's 5 pin din aux input.

At the wireless end I hope to use a Safecom wireless NAS box SWSAPUR which is attached to an external 160GB FAT32 hard drive that I hope to copy on all my MP3's etc.

The Safecom has a blown firmware on it that also allows it to talk to my Topfield 5800 PVR via a dedicated ftp program. This firmware is listed on the Macsat forums at:-

http://www.macsat.com/macsat/content/view/68/2/

I believe that I'll need a linux version of the server software that has been compiled for this firmware on the Safecom. Can someone please confirm this, and also let me know if a version exists that'll run on the safecom.

I'm afraid I know next to nothing about linux, so simple plain english explanation would be very much appreciated for this linux dunce.

Lastly, the wireless network is WPA-PSK protected along with mac filtering. I think I'm correct in that the Squeezebox allows connection using these methods, but if somene could please confirm I'd be grateful. Oh, and that the Squeezebox allows me to play these mp3's without my laptop being switched on. My wireless router (a ZyXEL Prestige 660HW-T1) is always switched on.

Thanks in advance

ceejay
2008-01-10, 15:39
Hi Folks

I'm looking to purchase a squeezebox and use it with my B&O 3300 Hi-Fi via it's 5 pin din aux input.

At the wireless end I hope to use a Safecom wireless NAS box SWSAPUR which is attached to an external 160GB FAT32 hard drive that I hope to copy on all my MP3's etc.

The Safecom has a blown firmware on it that also allows it to talk to my Topfield 5800 PVR via a dedicated ftp program. This firmware is listed on the Macsat forums at:-

http://www.macsat.com/macsat/content/view/68/2/

I believe that I'll need a linux version of the server software that has been compiled for this firmware on the Safecom. Can someone please confirm this, and also let me know if a version exists that'll run on the safecom.

I'm afraid I know next to nothing about linux, so simple plain english explanation would be very much appreciated for this linux dunce.

Lastly, the wireless network is WPA-PSK protected along with mac filtering. I think I'm correct in that the Squeezebox allows connection using these methods, but if somene could please confirm I'd be grateful. Oh, and that the Squeezebox allows me to play these mp3's without my laptop being switched on. My wireless router (a ZyXEL Prestige 660HW-T1) is always switched on.

Thanks in advance

Well, the easy bit is the wireless connection - that should be fine. And you won't need the laptop switched on **IF** you can get slimserver running on that NAS. I don't recall seeing any discussion of anyone having done that, so you might be blazing a trail of your own (which, from your comment, may not be what you want to do). Go to the Third Party Hardware board of this forum which is where most discussion of NASes takes place. You might need to worry about whether that NAS has enough memory and processing power to run slimserver adequately.

Good luck....

HydeTheDarkerSide
2008-01-10, 15:51
Cheers. I'll take a gander in that thread.

bpa
2008-01-10, 16:07
It does seem that many people have hacked this product - yet alone ported anything significant to it.
http://tintuc.no-ip.com/linux/tipps/mgb100/

It has a 2.4 Linux kernel and the processor is some x86 architecture but it only has 32Mb ram which is really too small except for 6.3.x. I suspect processor speed will be in the range 133-266MHz which is bit slow for Slimserver and lead to sluggish web screens.

It looks like you would have to port perl and then slimserver. You should look if anybody has ported perl etc. to any of the other brands which sell this devices.

HydeTheDarkerSide
2008-01-10, 16:19
Many thanks for the response. I wouldn't have a clue how to attempt the porting of Perl. I already have a multi-page thread running here:-

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=110785#110785

just to access my PVR. I'm not sure I have the stamina for a second similar project ;-)

bpa
2008-01-10, 16:31
There is nothing special about that product - why don't you pick a NAS that already has Slimserver ported.

If wifi is important - then I think you should not run Slimserver in the same box as it can be CPU intensive which can affect NAS which are also routers/WAPs.

It would be better to choose a NAS which has a Slimserver port such as a QNAP, Synology or Buffalo product and connected to a WAP.

HydeTheDarkerSide
2008-01-13, 11:11
Cheers

Having checked out those suggestions they're all too expensive for this project. :-(