PDA

View Full Version : squeezebox not playing, but softsqueeze works

kevinrogers
2008-01-10, 12:35
I am trying to set up my new Squeezebox. Slimserver is installed on my Kubuntu 7.04 home server. As this server has no display or keyboard attached, I control it by logging in from a laptop running Kubuntu.

Slimserver seems to be working ok - I am able to use the web interface, and softsqueeze seems to be working when I run it on an XP Prof. computer connected to my local network.

However, the Squeezebox remains silent. I can browse through the music collection, and it is able to extract/read metadata from mp3 as well as flac files. When I press play on the remote, the song appears in the "Now playing" screen, but there is no progress - the progress bar indicates that nothing is played, and there is no output signal.

I use a fairly standard wireless area network and a standard kubuntu setup as far as open ports etc. is concerned. Slimserver was installed via apt-get as indicated in the manual, with no problems.

Any suggestions?

Skunk
2008-01-11, 08:20
You could try updating the firmware by pressing and holding the brightness button. There is also a factory reset (hold + on the remote while booting up) and an Xilinx chip reset (hold 1 on the remote while booting).

Also may be worth checking the permission settings on the music folder, but if softsqueeze is playing files that doesn't seem like it would be the problem.

You might also consider turning off any AV or firewalls for temporary troubleshooting.

It may be best to contact support if you haven't already.

nicoco
2008-02-01, 22:18
I had the same problem on a simple Windows install. It used to work fine, and today, the squeezebox could browser music and radio stations, and hitting play would just ... well not play.
I did as suggested press 1 when powering up and that fixed the problem.

Thanks.

Anoop M.
2008-02-04, 18:26
As Skunk mentioned make sure to check that your firewalls are turned off. You can turn them back on later and allow exceptions for the proper ports but turning them off will help you trouble shoot the issue.