PDA

View Full Version : Connection timed out

mikeswingler
2008-01-09, 10:50
I am new owner trying to get started. Squeezebox works for a few minutes then stops. So have been trying to get radio, so can be sure its not a computer problem. Keep getting message 'connection timed out'. Connection workd fine with wireless laptop - at the moment next to SB3.
Instructions in box seem minimal.
Mike

mherger
2008-01-10, 04:27
> I am new owner trying to get started. Squeezebox works for a few minutes
> then stops.

First test: try connecting it using some RJ4 cable. Just to be sure it's a wireless issue or not.

--

Michael

mikeswingler
2008-01-11, 08:45
Thanks. I've moved wireless router to a different telephone point and it seems ok now. But whats RJ4 cable ??

SteveAS
2008-01-15, 05:56
RJ4 I think is CAT 5 cable, i.e. ethernet.

I'm getting connection timeout issues as well.

I recently renewed my subscription to McAfee and low and behold I forgot about the problems I had with being unable to start slimserver in the past. Grr! Now finally managed to get it up and running through sheer luck, trial and error, but now I cant play anything from within my designated music folders. Connected to the wireless ok, obtained a new ip address, can scan through the music files ok. Just cant play anything. Connection Timed Out message.

It doesn't even play directly from the slimserver player menu on/from the PC.

Any ideas?

SteveAS
2008-01-15, 07:31
Ah ha, just worked it out!

Disable Windows Firewall completely and it streams immediately!

Bingo!

telealf
2008-12-12, 17:10
Just wanted to thank last submitter (disable FW). I am a total rookie on the Sqbox, and had problems with playing songs from a laptop running XP and connected by WLAN.

Next: connect to NAS 107+ . Not lloking forwrad to this

toby10
2008-12-13, 04:23
Thanks. I've moved wireless router to a different telephone point and it seems ok now. But whats RJ4 cable ??

I presume he means RJ45, the standard CAT5 networking cable.

Internet Radio stations themselves can cause the "connection timed out" as well. My wired SB3 gets these all the time while playing Internet Radio. Some times it will go for hours without a hiccup, other times it will stop several times an hour. Just the nature of the beast. :)