PDA

View Full Version : Is there a 'no GUI' SoftSqueeze client?

hellesangel
2008-01-08, 10:22
This may be a long shot but if you don't ask you don't get...

I have several old laptops lying around at home, mostly useless for real work but easily capable of decoding an internet radio stream, especially if this can be done without the overhead of the GUI. Is it possible to run a Softsqueeze client on a GUI free minimum system?

Simply the idea was to have a tired old laptop in the kitchen, hidden somewhere, that boots (to SuSE Linux 10.0 if that matters) on LAN, auto-starts a SoftSqueeze-like client that does what it's told by Slimserver, and the computer shuts down when the server turns the client off. This way I have another room with its own radio, no extra clutter, and reusing an otherwise dead piece of hardware.

The only bit that's missing from this is the SoftSqueeze client that can run without a GUI. Does such a thing exist, or could it be put together with a reasonable amount of work? I know a fair bit about Linux, computers in general, a bit about Perl but little about Slimserver and Softsqueeze. Any ideas? Crazy or possible?

Thanks in advance.

mflint
2008-01-08, 10:26
squeezeslave (https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=105169)

mherger
2008-01-08, 10:31
> This may be a long shot but if you don't ask you don't get...

Search the SoftSqueeze doku an this forum for the headless option. And then there's squeezeslave, too.

hellesangel
2008-01-08, 10:49
Thanks both for your quick responses, I'll give them a look. The Squeezeslave project looks exactly what I'm after but seems to be dormant. Forgive me if I missed something.

As usual Google works best when you know what to look for and the headless Softsqueeze looks interesting too.

hellesangel
2008-02-07, 02:25
So, I'm making progress towards recycling a very old laptop into a no-display hidden Squeeze 'slave'. It is now running DSL (Damn Small Linux) and seems quite happy, but now it's time to choose either SoftSqueeze of SqueezeSlave. DSL doesn't have Java by default and I think installing it will be tricky.

Mostly I listen to internet radio stations, so streaming is essential - I've read on some forums that SqueezeSlave doesn't really support streaming - is this still the current state, and does that mean that SoftSqueeze is my better choice? Avoiding the Java overhead would really help make the best use of the 32Mb RAM the computer has available...

Thanks in advance.