PDA

View Full Version : Some product clarification

roc4fun
2008-01-06, 11:33
HI All, I've only recently learned of Slim Devices and I think they may be for me. I'm a little confused about the differences between the functionality of the Squeezbox and the Duet. Both seem like they would wirelessly stream from either my PC or the internet. Both have a remote controller. Which might be best for my application?

I have a desktop PC running PCLinuxOS.
I have a laptop running Vista.
I have a wireless router that has good connectivity in all parts of my home.
I have DSL broadband.
I have a conventional home stereo/theater setup with RCA inputs.

I'm interested in playing media from my PC on my home stereo/theater.
I'm interested in playing streaming media from the internet.

I think the Slimserver package is on the verge of being included in the PCLinuxOS repository ;-).

Anyway, thanks for reading my longish but inaugural post.

Dave

danco
2008-01-06, 15:57
Either the Squeezebox 3 or the Duet would work.

there are some differences in the internals, but the main differences are

Squeezebox 3 has an infra-red remote with no screen, the screen being a monochrome display on the SB itself

Duet has a wireless remote with a screen, and the receiver has no screen.

For you, I think it's a matter of which approach to the remote you prefer, and the price.

Some audiophiles might regard the internal differences as significant, but they probably don't matter in your setup.

pfarrell
2008-01-06, 22:46
Actuall, Sean says that there are unlikely to be sonic differences even for audiophiles. And they are likely to be using a Transporter anyway.

So the real difference is that the Duet has a nice graphic remote that can show album covers and other cool stuff in your hand, while the SB3 has a fairly dumb remote and a display on the SB3 itself. The Controller's screen is much cooler than the display on a SB3

roc4fun
2008-01-07, 06:32
Thanks, this is just the info I was hoping for.

Dave

Zaragon
2008-01-07, 16:23
The Controller's screen is much cooler than the display on a SB3

Oh I don't know I kind of like the analogue VU meters :)
You could get an SB3 and buy the separate Duet controller (more expensive) and get the best of both worlds.

jleinbach
2008-01-07, 18:19
Oh I don't know I kind of like the analogue VU meters :)
You could get an SB3 and buy the separate Duet controller (more expensive) and get the best of both worlds.

Can you control the SB3 using the Duet Controller? I have an SB3 and am thinking about getting a second for another part of the house. Would I be able to control both of them with a single Duet Controller?

Thanks.

snarlydwarf
2008-01-07, 18:43
Can you control the SB3 using the Duet Controller? I have an SB3 and am thinking about getting a second for another part of the house. Would I be able to control both of them with a single Duet Controller?

Yes, you can.

dean
2008-01-08, 08:06
On Jan 7, 2008, at 5:19 PM, jleinbach wrote:
> Can you control the SB3 using the Duet Controller? I have an SB3 and
> am thinking about getting a second for another part of the house.
> Would I be able to control both of them with a single Duet Controller?
Absolutely yes.

Shredder
2008-01-08, 09:24
I personally love the SB3 screen. To each his own.

Mark Lanctot
2008-01-09, 19:54

The question's been answered, but to add to it - the beta testers of the controller were not given the Squeezebox receiver, they all used their existing devices (SliMP3s, SB1s, SB1Gs, SB2s, SB3s and Transporters).

The Squeezebox controller interfaces with the SqueezeCenter software, not the player.

ezkcdude
2008-01-09, 20:18
The question's been answered, but to add to it - the beta testers of the controller were not given the Squeezebox receiver, they all used their existing devices (SliMP3s, SB1s, SB1Gs, SB2s, SB3s and Transporters).

The Squeezebox controller interfaces with the SqueezeCenter software, not the player.

And just for completeness, can I assume that the beta version of the controller will work with the new receiver?

kdf
2008-01-09, 20:25
On 9-Jan-08, at 7:18 PM, ezkcdude wrote:
>
> And just for completeness, can I assume that the beta version of the
> controller will work with the new receiver?

If the controller works with the latest firmware, you are good to go.
There were some earlier beta units that will not (these were the ones
with the 'clicky' wheel).
-kdf

ezkcdude
2008-01-09, 22:12
On 9-Jan-08, at 7:18 PM, ezkcdude wrote:
>
> And just for completeness, can I assume that the beta version of the
> controller will work with the new receiver?

If the controller works with the latest firmware, you are good to go.
There were some earlier beta units that will not (these were the ones
with the 'clicky' wheel).
-kdf

Thanks! I'll definitely be getting a receiver then.