PDA

View Full Version : Controlling a hidden SB3

Kaizen28
2008-01-06, 10:12
Hi All

I am in the final stages of putting together the specs for my home audio system. The intention is to use a single remote to control everything and I will need to have all my components concealed.

This presents something of a challenge for the SB3 given the need to see what is displayed to control it. I've seen a link where the Philips Pronto 9600 is used and this looks really promising as it's a remote I have me eye on.

I'm curious to know how others have solved the problem of controlling a SB3 that has been hidden from view and if anyone else is using the TSU-9600.

Thanks in advance.

Gibbo
2008-01-06, 10:23
Erm, perfect timing. the duet :-)

Kaizen28
2008-01-06, 10:38
Erm, perfect timing. the duet :-)

:-)

Yes, I did see this but that still means I need two remotes if I'm not mistaken. One for the SB and one for receiver, TV, DVD etc.

My other alternative is to look at the Escient product which integrates with the Pronto and allows on-screen display but I don't know how Escient will behave with a very large library that is modified in the background and not through its interface. I'd prefer to use the SB devices as I'm happy with the SlimServer stability and scalability.

Gibbo
2008-01-06, 10:48
Ah sorry, I figured by controlling everything, you just meant all the SB's. my mistake.

SuperQ
2008-01-06, 11:35
Yes, I did see this but that still means I need two remotes if I'm not mistaken. One for the SB and one for receiver, TV, DVD etc.

Yea, the problem is most remotes that I can find don't support 2-way communication. They send commands blindly to whatever they're controlling.

FredBasset
2008-01-08, 00:51
Hi All

This presents something of a challenge for the SB3 given the need to see what is displayed to control it. I've seen a link where the Philips Pronto 9600 is used and this looks really promising as it's a remote I have me eye on.

I'm curious to know how others have solved the problem of controlling a SB3 that has been hidden from view and if anyone else is using the TSU-9600.

Thanks in advance.

I use the TSU9600, using the scripts you've referred to. I did not write them though.

The first version is very good, I'm happy with it but it does not do cover art. I'm told that the second (yet to come) version does cover art and is faster. There is a small limitation with the TSU9600 scripts that it can only control 5 SB3's (or transporters or receivers). I suspect this is down to space on the screen but I've not asked the author.

I also use a Nokia 770, this is very cool but could be a little faster.

Being able to use the TSU9600 was the clincher for me, I saw the Sonos controller as pointless as it was limited to one device. My pronto controls, TV, Receiver, 2 DVD players, 3 SB3's, 2 Satellite boxes and will soon provide a real time xml weather update and control all the house lighting. Once this is all done I'll probably add another couple of TSU9600's.

Hope this helps:-)

Regards
Fred

Kaizen28
2008-01-08, 08:48
Hi FredBasset

That's excellent feedback. The SB3 will be up against a Escient ZP-1 which works really well with the Pronto. While I love my SB3 and will continue to use it in the master suite, I may sadly go with the ZP-1 if integration proves simpler.

Thanks again!

FredBasset
2008-01-08, 12:29
Don't worry about the scripts, the author has done an excellent job. I did have one problem but that was my fault. They only took 20 mins to include in my config and have worked faultlessly since.

Glad it helped
Fred