PDA

View Full Version : Creating internet radio playlist?

TerryHawkins
2008-01-06, 08:05
I have several music streams of radio stations I listen to. Is there anyway to make a play list of these? I'm new to the playlist idea.

Preferably under internet radio on my squeezebox.

Thanks in advance
TerryHawkins

Jeepie
2008-01-06, 08:17
Hi Terry,

I've just tried to get this working with the help of bpa.

First of all, if you are interested in Internet Radio I would recommend having a look at plugins. If you are not familar with these, these are just little extras that users write to enhance what your squeezebox can do.

AlienBBC is a plugin to play BBC radio - this is a bit different from other radio stations since (I think) it doesn't send out the radio as a stream. So if you are interested in listening to BBC radio install the Alien BBC plugin.

Once you have the Alien BBC plugin you can then add a remove radio stations from the Alien BBC list. So this will serve as your "Internet Radio" playlist.

If you are not interested in Alien BBC then you can try the WikiRadio plugin as this collects radio stations from the slimdevices website and you can publish your own.

Hope this helps. Have a read aroud and let me have your thoughts.

Cheers Jeepie

bpa
2008-01-06, 08:24
If you are playing WMA or MP3 format stream - then just use Squeezenetwork Favorites.

With 6.5 - you should use the MyPicks plugin. That way you can create a internet radio list either on your Slimserver or link into your Favorites list on Squeezenetwork.

Better still - install Squeezecenter 7.0 (beta now but due to release v. soon) which has all these features.

TerryHawkins
2008-01-06, 10:56
I am currently running slimserver on a QNAP TS-109, so I cannot use the new Squeeze Center.

AlienBBC is installed but every option is saying 'No Programmes Found!', so if anyone can give me help with this that would be much appreciated.

Just noticed that when accessing AlienBBC (When clicking the link in Slimserver) the left hand pain goes blank and doesn't load.

Thanks
Terry

bpa
2008-01-06, 13:51
Do you get "no programmes found" when you select a "live" stream ?

Are you able to play stations from the Slim picks list ?

If so then redo the installation of AlienBBC.

TerryHawkins
2008-01-06, 15:28
Do you get "no programmes found" when you select a "live" stream ?

Are you able to play stations from the Slim picks list ?

If so then redo the installation of AlienBBC.
I get no programmes found on all streams, the slim picks stations give me the following error 'can't connect to server for'.

The internet is working as I can connect to squeezenetwork no problems.

Thanks
Terry

bpa
2008-01-06, 15:39
All those message indicate that the TS-109 cannot access internet for some reason.

Does the router have MAC level filtering enabled ?

Is the IP address of the TS-109 fixed or using DHCP ?

If not using DHCP are the TS109 gateway IP address and DNS addresses the same as those set on the SB ?

If the gateway and DNS addresses in SB and TS-109 are the same - is the TS109 on the same subnet as SB ?

TerryHawkins
2008-01-06, 15:47
All those message indicate that the TS-109 cannot access internet for some reason.

Does the router have MAC level filtering enabled ?

Is the IP address of the TS-109 fixed or using DHCP ?

If not using DHCP are the TS109 gateway IP address and DNS addresses the same as those set on the SB ?

If the gateway and DNS addresses in SB and TS-109 are the same - is the TS109 on the same subnet as SB ?
I can connect to squeezenetwork without any problems so the Internet is being accessed from the TS109.

Terry

bpa
2008-01-06, 16:57
When the SB connects to Squeezenetwork, it bypasses the TS-109 totally. The TS-109 can be off and the SB will still be able to access the Squeezenetwork.

TerryHawkins
2008-01-07, 03:23
When the SB connects to Squeezenetwork, it bypasses the TS-109 totally. The TS-109 can be off and the SB will still be able to access the Squeezenetwork.
OK thanks, didn't reallise that...

Subnet mask and gateway are fine, they match with my router. The DNS servers are currently 0.0.0.0, do these need to be set for the internet to work?

Terry

bpa
2008-01-07, 04:03
DNS needs to be setup otherwise TS109 cannot change an address such as www.bbc.co.uk into an ip address with numbers.

Users often don't realise DHCP not only sets up the device's IP address but also the gateway and DNS addresses.

TerryHawkins
2008-01-07, 06:00
That's cracked it, internet radio is working perfectly. Thanks very much for your help.

Just one minor thing... Podcasts!

I am getting no programmes found and I remember seeing a fix for it on here. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated. I don't like fiddling with things when I don't know what I'm doing.

Terry

bpa
2008-01-07, 06:16
Try post #10 in this thread.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=33770

I think update results in a two "Podcast" menu items so you may want to delete the "old" using AlienBBC settings.