PDA

View Full Version : squeezebox personal

mudlark
2008-01-06, 02:44
would it be possible for a controller similar to the duet device to also have a wireless receiver and a player device so it could be used as a personal player within range of the wireless system of your home or place of work?

I would guess not as the power requirements would be too high?

Mike.

erland
2008-01-06, 02:50
would it be possible for a controller similar to the duet device to also have a wireless receiver and a player device so it could be used as a personal player within range of the wireless system of your home or place of work?

The controller which is part of the SqueezeBox Duet has a headphone output so the hardware is already prepared for it, it's just not enabled in the software yet. I'm sure it will be enabled as soon as the software is ready to act as a playback device.

It would have been stupid by Logitech to include a DAC in the controller if they didn't have this in mind.

mudlark
2008-01-06, 03:04
ooooooooooooooooooooooooo I want one now.

bpa
2008-01-06, 04:38
Back in Nov I ported squeezeslave into the Controller as an experiment - I was able to use the controller as a SB1 device (MP3)and play music at the same time.

Some changes in Controller s/w has stopped this app from working but at the time comments from dev group was that it was hope to support playing audio but in a more efficient manner than squeezeslave.

In fact the Jive software will become the new Softsqueeze and Softsqueeze will be left to user community to develop further.

mudlark
2008-01-06, 05:00
Having looked at the web a bit more on this matter i can see there are a few portable music servers including the nokia 810 770 and several "radio" type devices such as the one from Roberts. I hadn't realised that these were available. my understanding was that these devices were internet only. In any case I would require Flac implementation.

There is going to be a market for me so that I can relax outside in the sun listening to music without having to run my SB3 via n extension lead.

The Duet device seems to suit this desire and enables control of the SB3s I have. Do You know whether the controller will come as a Solo. (With apologies to Arcam)

bpa
2008-01-06, 05:04
AFAIK - controller will be available separate but a bit expensive US$299.

Further potential for "personal music" is if the beta's expansion port is still in the production unit. The beta's expansion port supports USB although IIRC not many devices have been included in the kernel.

bigfool1956
2008-01-06, 05:28
IMO properly enabling the headphone socket is a priority. At a stroke this would make the controller a much better buy, and the duet package a bargain.

bpa
2008-01-06, 05:43
The big problem about making the Controller a SB type player is that battery life will be minimal as music is streamed over Wifi - it is a lot of traffic and Wifi is a big drain. When testing the audio I had the Controller in its charging cradle.

In addition before audio out is considered - there is still more optimisation needed and playing audio may make use of screen (e.g. scrolling, art) unusable.

bigfool1956
2008-01-06, 05:49
Oh well, back to my iPod then I guess

danco
2008-01-06, 08:23
Mudlark, have a look at the Revo Pcio Wi-fi. Truly portable (rechargable battery) and splashproof. Not brilliant wifi sensitivity and sound quality about as one would expect from a device of that size.

It's the portability that makes it well worth considering.