PDA

View Full Version : Controller looks better than the web pics; yes, it runs Linux

peterw
2008-01-05, 20:30
The picture http://www.slimdevices.com/images/jive_top_200.jpg does not do the Controller justice. The bottom five buttons in that pic look like they're not all flush with the Controller face. OK, so I've only seen one unit (the Jive Hardware Beta Logitech was kind enough to send me), but its fit & finish are better than this picture suggests.

Also, the info page says nothing about Linux. Maybe that's not something the marketing folks want to push, but especially if you keep the SSH-based Remote Access available for the Controller, you're sure to get a few more Linux/OSS geek purchases. What Free Software geek wouldn't like a slick remote control that runs busybox? ;-)

Congratulations, Sean & crew. I can't imagine not having a VFD on my Squeezebox, but having the Receiver and Controller available should improve the lives & finances of a lot of folks who might've chosen a lesser platform like Sonos.

-Peter

mvalera
2008-01-05, 22:23
I added BIG pics to the announce sticky at the top if anyone is interested.

I believe that was a photo model not an actual unit. The shots were taken a long time ago, they have to be for the box work.

FYI the LCD is simulated in these shots.

Mike

erland
2008-01-05, 23:47
Also, the info page says nothing about Linux. Maybe that's not something the marketing folks want to push, but especially if you keep the SSH-based Remote Access available for the Controller, you're sure to get a few more Linux/OSS geek purchases. What Free Software geek wouldn't like a slick remote control that runs busybox? ;-)

I agree, this is actually the big selling point for me, I wonder if that means I'm a geek ?

Linux and Logitech Public Source licensed firmware/software should definitely be mentioned somewhere.
Another thing that is worth mentioning is that you can actually install third party applications/applets on the controller.

But, I'm sure the geek community are going to get this information independent if it is part of the product specification or not.