PDA

View Full Version : Slim Server and Firefly Server

KeithL
2008-01-04, 01:29
Now that Roku (Pinnacle) have halved the price of their Soundbridge radio, I've bought one for the kitchen.

Although it will run Slim Server, it comes up really ugly on the screen. I've read the Roku forum which suggests using their Firefly Server for iTunes. It's much snappier than Slim Server and looks the business.

My question is, will there be any long term problem with running two servers for the same music directory, assuming I have sufficient bandwidth?

ATB Keith

Nikhil
2008-01-04, 03:10
I've been using Firefly server side by side with SlimServer (sharing the same library) for nearly a year now without any performance problems.

I use Firefly server to transcode my FLACs to WAVs so they appear in iTunes and can be played through Airport Express or FrontRow.

KeithL
2008-01-04, 05:08
Nikhil,

Thanks for that reassurance.
Out of interest, why are you going to flac in the first place.
Why not straight to wav or aiff using iTunes?
I've read EAC is meant to give an exact copy, but I've experience zero problems with iTunes doing the ripping.

ATB Keith

Nikhil
2008-01-04, 07:59
Can't remember exactly why I went in that direction to start with; but there are several reasons I have stuck with FLAC and EAC .. mostly because this combination has met most of the criteria that are of important to me.

1) Quality - FLAC is lossless, no bits thrown away.
2) Compression - Yields about 55-60% compression on average. That means more music per storage $ spent as compared with WAVs and AIFFs.
3) Tagging & metadata - well documented and standardized. Ability to store info about tracks, album art, metadata like replay gain, MusicBrainzIDs, MusicIP PUIDs, LastFM fingerprints, etc. This becomes really important with large collections, and I am unclear about the status of AIFFs and WAVs in this respect.
4) Device support - Natively supported by the SqueezeBox2 (that is you don't need server side transcoding and you can seek within tracks) and the Sonos ZP80, both of which I own.
5) Platform support - works on all the platforms I use routinely - Mac, Win & Linux.
6) Its open source - I like that! and completely free - even better!
7) EAC followed naturally once I decided on FLAC. While I am sure that iTunes provides perfect rips 99.9% of the time - I feel better ripping with EAC and AccurateRip. I usually rip in the fast mode, and only if AccurateRip gives a mismatch do I use the secure mode.
8) Finally I hate the way iTunes messes with my files (playing with the tags, volume settings, and even locations) even though I like its UI. Firefly allows the tracks to be accessed in a read only manner.

jmourik
2008-01-04, 08:49
I use Firefly server to transcode my FLACs to WAVs so they appear in iTunes and can be played through Airport Express or FrontRow.
So could one use Firefly to stream FLAC (transcoded to mp3) to a Roku soundbridge, using the same directories as SC7 uses for streaming to a Squeezebox/Transporter?

Nikhil
2008-01-04, 23:59
So could one use Firefly to stream FLAC (transcoded to mp3) to a Roku soundbridge, using the same directories as SC7 uses for streaming to a Squeezebox/Transporter?

I have never needed to transcode flac to mp3 with firefly - lossless was what I was after. But I don't see why it shouldn't be possible with some minimal amount of tweaking.

Goattee
2009-01-26, 21:20
Will a Squeezebox Boom see the Firefly library if I don't want to use SqueezeCenter at all? I am not clear on whether the Squeezebox support is only for the native Itunes library or can it access shared libraries (which Firefly emulates).

Will I be able to continue to play my Firefly Smart Playlists?

agillis
2009-01-26, 22:37
You can run many streaming protocols on the same box as long as they use different ports. I use SC, firefly (iTunes), uShare (DLNA), SMB (for XBMC), and NFS. All on the same VortexBox server with no problems.

Goattee
2009-01-26, 22:44
You can run many streaming protocols on the same box as long as they use different ports. I use SC, firefly (iTunes), uShare (DLNA), SMB (for XBMC), and NFS. All on the same VortexBox server with no problems.

Thanks for a speedy response.

I had no doubt that I could run various servers on the same box-- I already do that-- but you're answering a question I'm not asking.

What I wanted to know is whether Squeezebox can see Bonjour-broadcasted media services such as Itunes shared libraries and Firefly Media Server.

ddewey
2009-01-27, 09:12
Quoting Goattee (Goattee.3mnqcz1233035101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> agillis;389716 Wrote:
> > You can run many streaming protocols on the same box as long as they use
> > different ports. I use SC, firefly (iTunes), uShare (DLNA), SMB (for
> > XBMC), and NFS. All on the same VortexBox server with no problems.
>
> Thanks for a speedy response.
>
> I had no doubt that I could run various servers on the same box-- I
> already do that-- but you're answering a question I'm not asking.
>
> What I wanted to know is whether Squeezebox can see Bonjour-broadcasted
> media services such as Itunes shared libraries and Firefly Media Server.

No.