PDA

View Full Version : eee install

Skunk
2008-01-03, 13:59
The debian unstable install seems to be running fine on the default xandros OS, at least AFAICT, so I've avoided WinXP for the moment.

Squeezecenter starts much faster than on my Win Core2 desktop, and all the remotes are just as snappy too, which surprised me considering the external usb2 HD.

pichonCalavera
2008-01-03, 14:35
I always wanted to see if Squeezecenter could run on the eeepc, nice job!. How much time does it take from powering the eeepc on, until Squeezecenter loads?

Skunk
2008-01-03, 15:40
It takes 30 seconds for the OS to load, and 20 seconds for me to type sudo /etc/init.d/slimserver start. So all told almost exactly one minute for the Sb3 to light up. I didn't do a startup script because it's not my primary server, but that would bring it well under a minute.

Also, the eee is on the wireless network, and the sb3 is wired to the router. Kind of backwards I guess.

Seineseeker
2008-01-25, 08:03
Thats really cool. Can you only run SS on there and no other applications at the same time?

Skunk
2008-01-25, 08:56
Thats really cool. Can you only run SS on there and no other applications at the same time?

It actually does multitasking really well. I just had two squeezeboxes sync'd while also playing music in mplayer from the same external HD, other firefox windows open (e.g. typing this), and the included penguin racer game running. The frame-rate of the game wasn't so great, but it didn't interfere with Squeezecenter. This is all with the eee connecting via wireless to the router as well.

That being said, you wouldn't want to carry it around the house and multitask because you'll invariably have an external hard drive attached when running SC. It does have VGA output capable of 1600xsomething resolution, so if set up as a desktop with monitor/mouse/keyboard it would be ok for web browsing while serving music.

When I don't fancy carrying it around with me anymore, I'd imagine it will make a great low-power dedicated server. It's under-clocked from 900Mhz to 600Mhz from the factory, so there's room for improvement if battery life isn't a concern, and the RAM can also be swapped easily.

Apologies if it sounds like I work for them or something!

Seineseeker
2008-01-25, 09:33
No thats cool, I was thinking of getting one and seeing if I could run SS from there with all the music files on my wi-fi NAS (which isn't powerful enough to run SS7)

Skunk
2008-01-25, 10:45
I was thinking of getting one and seeing if I could run SS from there with all the music files on my wi-fi NAS (which isn't powerful enough to run SS7)

The only advice I can give for that is try buying it someplace that takes returns and doesn't charge re-stocking fees, in case it doesn't work out. I'd imagine that if you've got the three wireless hop working now it would work on the eee as well. Sounds far from ideal though :-)

Seineseeker
2008-01-25, 11:37
It's ok, I want an eeePC anyway, it would be fun to have it running SS7 too, but wouldn't be the end of the world if it didn't.

Skunk
2008-01-25, 14:58
FWIW I got something similar to what you want working. I set up a share on the windows music folder, which the eee can find and use through the wireless router (similar to your wireless NAS), and use as its local music folder. Sending FLAC to one wireless and one wired SB that are synced isn't a problem at all on my 802.11g network, and browse music folder etc. is still very snappy too.