X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickeyG
    Logitech Squeezebox Software Program Manager
    • May 2007

Who’s That Developer?

In November 2007, we had a first-time-ever get-together of many of the developers who regularly contribute to the development of Squeezebox, Transporter, SqueezeCenter, SqueezeNetwork, and the Jive Hardware Platform. Most attendees are now Logitech employees, but some were not.

This was a very special event, since some attendees had read each other's postings over the years and even exchanged e-mail -- all without ever having met face-to-face. Despite this, it felt like a gathering of old friends.

To commemorate this unique celestial alignment, we took a group photo that we thought we would share with everyone on the forums. However, instead of just posting the photo and labeling it with names, we thought we’d have a little fun and have you guess who’s who. Some are probably pretty easy to identify, but for some developers you just had to be there!

Also, in keeping with the spirit of these forums, I’ve listed only their forum Log In name. But since some people in this photo are lurkers and haven’t posted in the forums, there are more faces than Log In names!

So ... let's see how well you really know the developer community!

andyg (Andy)
    awy (Alan)
    bklaas (Ben)
    ccrome (Caleb)
    ChrisOwens
    Dan Sully
    dean blackketter
    fcm4711 (Felix)
    kdf (Kevin)
    mherger (Michael)
    MickeyG (Mickey)
    rtitmuss (Richard)
    seanadams

I’m hoping this photo doesn’t completely destroy your mental image of your favorite Squeezebox developer ….

Mickey
    Transporter > Classé Audio DR6 > Mark Levinson 23 > Wilson Watt 3/Puppy 1/Martin Logan Dynamo 700
  • Michael Herger
    Babelfish's Best Boy
    • Apr 2005

=?utf-8?q?Who=E2=80=99s_That_Developer=3F?=

I like the harmless look of the nice guy next to me :-)
    Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
    (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• tamanaco
      Watcher of the Windows build
      • Mar 2006

Now, here is a good reason against a high def color LCD interface for the SB.

Good dev work guys...

Comment

• erland
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by MickeyG
        So ... let's see how well you really know the developer community!
        Andy is easy (I think), but the rest would just be guessing.
        Maybe we could get some kind of clues ?
        Erland Lindmark (My homepage)
        Developer of many plugins/applets
        Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

Comment

• bklaas
          Ne'er-do-well, Vagabond
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by erland
          Andy is easy (I think), but the rest would just be guessing.
          Maybe we could get some kind of clues ?
          clues can be found here
          Former Logitech Developer: Squeezeplay/SqueezeOS/SqueezeboxController/SqueezeCenter
          Community Developer: Nokia770Skin (r.i.p.)

http://www.last.fm/user/bklaas/

Comment

• gharris999
            • Apr 2005

What we need are audio clues, not a photo. Besides, we're all aurally orientated here, aren't we? I'm fairly certain that I'd be able to identify the Minnesota and Canadian accents.

Comment

• bklaas
              Ne'er-do-well, Vagabond
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by gharris999
              What we need are audio clues, not a photo. Besides, we're all aurally orientated here, aren't we? I'm fairly certain that I'd be able to identify the Minnesota and Canadian accents.
              ah, if only Flickr supported roll-over mp3s. of course, then people would then be asking for roll-over flacs.

my roll-over would sport the quintessential Minnesotan statement. Say it with a 'Fargo' accent: "I ain't gonna pay no dollar for no corn muffin that's half dough"

cheers,
              #!/ben
              Former Logitech Developer: Squeezeplay/SqueezeOS/SqueezeboxController/SqueezeCenter
              Community Developer: Nokia770Skin (r.i.p.)

http://www.last.fm/user/bklaas/

Comment

• erland
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by bklaas
                Got a lot easier with these.

The only ones that are the same as my initial guess before the clues was andyg, dean blackketter and fcm4711.
                The big surprises for me, assuming my guess is correct, was MickeyG and bklaas. I'm a bit disappointed I didn't guess Sean correct in the first place, but at least my second hand choice for Sean would have been the correct one.

I'll wait with posting the correct answer to give more people a chance to guess first.
                Erland Lindmark (My homepage)
                Developer of many plugins/applets
                Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

Comment

• thomsens
                  • Aug 2005

Sean was easy. I just looked for the leader in the group and he was obvious. Then I did some analysis to confirm my gut... He wouldn't be in the front (people told to be there) or back ("extras") - that's obvious. No hands in pockets which would be too casual for the leader. Hands together strikes me as folks "behaving" for the photo - so therefore, not in charge. That leaves one person. Decent shirt and clean cut...check!

He looks confident in the photo. It might not be his personality naturally (have no clue), but I'm sure he's been forced to act it as his company has grown and it shows - even in this photo.

Comment

• Siduhe
                    • Jun 2005

But is Dan really wearing a Google t-shirt? Enquiring minds want to know...
                    Who am I on LAST.FM?
                    "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Comment

• gharris999
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by bklaas
                      "I ain't gonna pay no dollar for no corn muffin that's half dough"
                      No, no, indeed. For a dollar, you should get a corn dog.

Comment

• Robin Bowes

=?iso-8859-1?q?Who=27s_That_Developer=3F?=

Siduhe wrote:
                        > But is Dan *really* wearing a Google t-shirt? Enquiring minds want to
                        > know...

Well, let's look at the facts...

1. That is Dan.
                        2. That is a Google t-shirt.

I put it to you Mr Sidue that Dan really *is* wearing a Google t-shirt!

R.

Comment

• mrfantasy
                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by thomsens
                          Sean was easy. I just looked for the leader in the group and he was obvious. Then I did some analysis to confirm my gut... He wouldn't be in the front (people told to be there) or back ("extras") - that's obvious. No hands in pockets which would be too casual for the leader. Hands together strikes me as folks "behaving" for the photo - so therefore, not in charge. That leaves one person. Decent shirt and clean cut...check!

He looks confident in the photo. It might not be his personality naturally (have no clue), but I'm sure he's been forced to act it as his company has grown and it shows - even in this photo.
                          I extrapolated it from his age--I think he's the youngest in the group!

For some reason, he reminds me a little of Scott Wolf.
                          --Mike
                          http://last.fm/user/mrfantasy

Comment

• Siduhe
                            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Robin Bowes
                            Well, let's look at the facts...

1. That is Dan.
                            2. That is a Google t-shirt.

I put it to you Mr Sidue that Dan really *is* wearing a Google t-shirt!

R.
                            Ah but is it an officially sanctioned pro Google t-shirt, or a mild piss take - I can't tell even with a bit of sharpen? My whole image of Dan (and the Slim Devices developers generally) has just spun on its axis at the thought that one or more of them might be actively promoting a company who is leading the "race to the bottom".*

* Not really**

**Well, actually quite a bit. I teach a bit on data protection and the law and Google is my standout "how not to do it" example every time. That and my own Government of course.

P.S. It's Miss btw *smiles*
                            Last edited by Siduhe; 2008-01-04, 18:12.
                            Who am I on LAST.FM?
                            "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Comment

• Dan Sully
                              Perl Commando
                              • Apr 2005

=?utf-8?q?Who=E2=80=99s_That_Developer=3F?=

* Siduhe shaped the electrons to say...

>Ah but is it an officially sanctioned *pro* Google t-shirt, or a mild
                              >piss take - I can't tell even with a bit of sharpen? My whole image of
                              >Dan (and the Slim Devices developers generally) has just spun on its
                              >axis at the thought that one or more of them might be actively
                              >promoting a company who is leading the "race to the bottom".*

Let's just say I am not working in the ivory tower. This is the shirt:

-D
                              --
                              <dsully> please describe web 2.0 to me in 2 sentences or less.
                              <jwb> you make all the content. they keep all the revenue.

Comment

Working...