PDA

View Full Version : Organizing Music --Could use some help and advice

lreinstein
2008-01-01, 09:54
I am using Fishbone skin on the web interface for slimserver 6.5.4

I am also using ITUNES with my Ipod. I am trying to figure out the best way to Tag and organize my music library. I am planning to re-rip all of my CD's in Apple Lossless...I understand that there are advantages to FLAC but want to keep things simple for myself...especially since i intend to continue synching to my IPOD.

I could use some advice... keeping in mind that I am a newbie to most of this and want to keep it all very simple and easy.

Some of my questions---

- When I click BROWSE I get a list of Albums with an alphabetical index. Thus clicking B gives me all of my B albums. IS there a way to get a complete list that I can scroll...not just limited to a single letter?

- The Beginner Wiki suggests for Classical music to put the name of the artist/composer at the beginning of the Album title. such as Beethoven--Fifth symphony. Is this a good idea for pop music as well? Would it help to have artist name before title of his/her album? Such as Beatles-- Abbey Road as the Album Title for Abbey Road.

- I am not sure what to do about Genre assignments. I do not want to assign multiple Genre's since iTunes/Ipod i believe does not support it. So for example, would one put Norah Jones as Vocal, as Pop, or ???? Is there some wisdom that you could share?

- And again, I am not sure about the best and simplest way to make use of the playlist features.

Thanks for your patience.

Larry

ceejay
2008-01-01, 11:20
- When I click BROWSE I get a list of Albums with an alphabetical index. Thus clicking B gives me all of my B albums. IS there a way to get a complete list that I can scroll...not just limited to a single letter?

You could try specifying a longer page length, though it will slow up the interface. Server Settings - Interface - Items Per Page.

Or this recent announcement? http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=41597

- The Beginner Wiki suggests for Classical music to put the name of the artist/composer at the beginning of the Album title. such as Beethoven--Fifth symphony. Is this a good idea for pop music as well? Would it help to have artist name before title of his/her album? Such as Beatles-- Abbey Road as the Album Title for Abbey Road.

Entirely up to you. What would you like? Personally I don't do this, and I don't know many people that do. Mainly because if I want to start by finding the artist I'll browse by artist, and then see the list of albums.

The main reason I suggested considering putting the composer name in at the beginning of a classical "album" name is that you otherwise are likely to see a long list of "Symphony no 5"s when you browse by album: the equivalent duplicate album name in the pop world is much rarer, except of course for "Greatest Hits", where I do append the artist name for clarity.

- I am not sure what to do about Genre assignments. I do not want to assign multiple Genre's since iTunes/Ipod i believe does not support it. So for example, would one put Norah Jones as Vocal, as Pop, or ???? Is there some wisdom that you could share?

The only wisdom that counts is how YOU want to find the music.

Personally I'm a big fan of multiple genre assignments for exactly this reason...

HTH

lreinstein
2008-01-02, 15:45
[QUOTE=ceejay;253206]You could try specifying a longer page length, though it will slow up the interface. Server Settings -
The main reason I suggested considering putting the composer name in at the beginning of a classical "album" name is that you otherwise are likely to see a long list of "Symphony no 5"s when you browse by album: the equivalent duplicate album name in the pop world is much rarer, except of course for "Greatest Hits", where I do append the artist name for clarity.

Thanks again

I relabeled all of my classical as you suggest but am confused about how it appears in the slimserver web program/fishbone. When I select GENRE Classical, it lists not only the Artists (read Composers...like Bach, Beethoven etc) but also includes all of the "Album Artist" fields. Is there a way to eliminate this? It makes it much more confusing to have Yo Yo Ma interspersed in the list????

I don't really understand the way in which this software sorts what it displays.

I am lookng for a relatively simple way to do this that is compatible with using an IPOD as well as my home stereo system.

THanks for your help.

Larry

ceejay
2008-01-03, 11:38
Try going to Server Settings - Behavior - COMPOSER, BAND AND ORCHESTRA IN ARTISTS ... if any of these are ticked, untick them.

Does that help?

lreinstein
2008-01-03, 19:00
it does not seem to help.

when i select genre/classical, the list is populated by the artists plus "album artists", another tag from itunes. i suppose i could delete all of those album tags, and then put the names of the conductors, pianists, etc in the comments fields in itunes. but this is too bad.