PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Library name(s) - ???

rambeaux
2007-12-30, 18:08
I'm trying to troubleshoot some problems with loading iTunes, and have one big question, more to do with iTunes than SS.

I did *something* that created a file called "iTunes Music Library.xml" in my iTunes folder. I have no idea where it came from, but it seems that Apple started naming the file "iTunes Library.xml", dropping the 'Music' part.

One of my debugging scans seems to indicate that it's looking for the "iTunes Music Library.xml" file, but the two files that are updated (and current) are "iTunes Library.itl" and "iTunes Library.xml".

Any idea what gives with these two files?
...or how I created the 'other' one?

A bit of history:

I had mp3's in M:\iTunes and the library in My Music on C:. This seemed to be a potential cause of issues, so I copied them over to M:\iTunes, redirected iTunes at the library file, ran a consolidate library in iTunes, and then configured slimserver to look in the right folder.

I managed to get the playlists loaded, but they wouldn't update. When I renamed the (older) iTunes Music Library.xml file, and did a wipe and reload in SS, my playlists are empty.

Of course, now renaming the file doesn't help. I moved it back to the MyMusic folder, and now it works.

OK, now I'm rambling and answering a bunch of my own questions -- but why is it I get different debug messages every time I run the same thing? Now it says it got the location from the registry. I'm off to chase THAT down now...

Bottom line: I've told everything to look in M, and it's still insisting on looking for the wrong file in the wrong place.

rambeaux
2008-01-02, 18:25
My scan was choking, and I found advice to put the iTunes library files in the same spot as the mp3's. This didn't turn out to be the issue, so I reverted and everything works. I thought I'd post some learnings...

1. Finish reading the descriptors on the server setup. If you're using iTunes, you can leave all the directory information blank. Some are for explicit paths when it's not on the same PC as slimserver, and some specifically say you cal leave it blank if you're using iTunes. I got advice to the contrary, and went down a rathole.

2. Apple names the .xml file differently depending on whether or not it's in the defaul location. If it's in MyMusic, then it names it "iTunes Music Library.xml", which is what the scanner is looking for. If it's elsewhere, and you shift-launch iTunes and redirect it to the new location, it names it "iTunes Library.xml" and the scanner can't find it (or any of your updated playlists, etc...)

I moved the .itl file back, and it named it properly, and I'm off and running!

bltst2
2008-05-09, 15:18
My scan was choking, and I found advice to put the iTunes library files in the same spot as the mp3's. This didn't turn out to be the issue, so I reverted and everything works. I thought I'd post some learnings...

2. Apple names the .xml file differently depending on whether or not it's in the defaul location. If it's in MyMusic, then it names it "iTunes Music Library.xml", which is what the scanner is looking for. If it's elsewhere, and you shift-launch iTunes and redirect it to the new location, it names it "iTunes Library.xml" and the scanner can't find it (or any of your updated playlists, etc...)

I moved the .itl file back, and it named it properly, and I'm off and running!

I wanted to bump this up and see if anyone knows how to get SqueezeCenter to read the "iTunes Library.xml" file? I am a Windows user (for iTunes) but store my library and .XML files on my Linux server which runs SqueezeCenter.

Since I moved these files away from the default location, I'm getting the name of "iTunes Library.xml" which is not working. Any advice?

StuartC
2008-08-28, 06:43
I want to bump this too. It seems to me that SC needs a quick fix to search for either "itunes music library.xml" OR "itunes library.xml". Shouldn't be too hard should it?