PDA

View Full Version : Where is the database ?



Peter Olufsen
2004-01-29, 03:05
Hi,

I'm running SlimServer v5.01 on Windows XP, and I can't find any information about the location of the database ?

Is it possible to access / update the database from another program ?

Thanks,

Peter

Richard Purdie
2004-01-29, 03:17
Hi,

> I'm running SlimServer v5.01 on Windows XP, and I can't find
> any information about the location of the database ?

The location of the file will be something like C:\Program
Files\SlimServer\server\slimserver.db

> Is it possible to access / update the database from another program ?

Calling the file a database is misleading (it used to be a DBM file but not
all perl versions support them and storable was seen as the best and most
supported way to store the cache).

The file is as created by the Storable perl module. You could write a
program in perl to read it. I don't think updating would be of much use as
the changes would not get back to the tags in the original files.

There are plans to output the data in memory in a format like iTunes XML
file which will be the best way to access the data structure but this has
not been done yet.

RP

kdf
2004-01-29, 03:20
Quoting Peter Olufsen <po (AT) dsinet (DOT) dk>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running SlimServer v5.01 on Windows XP, and I can't find any information
> about the location of the database ?
>
> Is it possible to access / update the database from another program ?
which database?
the MP3 tag database is more recent than 5.0.1. it will be in an official
release as 5.1 shortly.

others, you'll have to explain.

-kdf

kdf
2004-01-29, 03:24
Quoting Richard Purdie <rpurdie (AT) rpsys (DOT) net>:

> Hi,
>
> > I'm running SlimServer v5.01 on Windows XP, and I can't find
> > any information about the location of the database ?
>
> The location of the file will be something like C:\Program
> Files\SlimServer\server\slimserver.db
>
> > Is it possible to access / update the database from another program ?
>
> Calling the file a database is misleading (it used to be a DBM file but not
> all perl versions support them and storable was seen as the best and most
> supported way to store the cache).

how does this apply to WinXP? This has been the most obvious complaint of
failure that I know of for recent attempts. If it doesn't work in WinXP, then I
think the code should make not of that so that this list and bugzilla wont get
blasted with winxp database complaints.

-kdf

Richard Purdie
2004-01-29, 04:07
> > > Is it possible to access / update the database from another program ?
> >
> > Calling the file a database is misleading (it used to be a DBM file but
not
> > all perl versions support them and storable was seen as the best and
most
> > supported way to store the cache).
>
> how does this apply to WinXP? This has been the most obvious complaint of
> failure that I know of for recent attempts. If it doesn't work in WinXP,
then I
> think the code should make not of that so that this list and bugzilla wont
get
> blasted with winxp database complaints.

That was badly worded.

What I was trying to say is I changed the code from DBM as that needs
external modules that cause problems on WinXP. We now use storable which is
supported by any perl 5.8 including that on WinXP. Dean confirmed the
windows builds contain Storable IIRC.

Calling it a database is a throwback to then and is misleading now.

If fact to stop any further confusion can we rename the Tag Database to
something like "Disk based Tag Cache"?

RP