PDA

View Full Version : Help - no remote! am I SOL?

dwc
2007-12-29, 21:39
So I brought my library and my squeezebox to my dad's house for the holidays, but I left the dang remote at home! I have the slimserver up and running, but how can I get the SB3 on the wireless with no remote?

Am I sol for wireless?

Thanks,

Dan (feeling sheepish)

JimC
2007-12-29, 21:54
So I brought my library and my squeezebox to my dad's house for the holidays, but I left the dang remote at home! I have the slimserver up and running, but how can I get the SB3 on the wireless with no remote?

Am I sol for wireless?

Thanks,

Dan (feeling sheepish)

The bad news is there's no way to set up the networking without an infrared remote.

The good news is that the Squeezebox can also support JVC DVD infrared controls. Pick up an inexpensive "universal" remote and program it to support a JVC DVD player (it should be a simple code you find in the universal remote's documentation and then enter on the remote).

If you're intetested in a really nice, activity-based, advanced remote, you could pick up a Logitech Harmony remote; Squeezebox and Transporter are fully supported in the Harmony database.

dwc
2007-12-29, 23:08
OK so this is funny. Turns out I had left a remote here the last time I was here for my sisters wedding. [I had given up on that remote. I thought I had lost it at home.]

I go up to see if my dad happens to have a JVC dvd player, and there's my (now dusty) SB remote sitting right next to his tv remotes.

Back in business - listening to Etta James sing some Christmas tunes...

Thanks,
Dan

SuperQ
2007-12-29, 23:22
Back in business - listening to Etta James sing some Christmas tunes...

Ohhh.. great idea.. *clicks artist list* Etta James time!

Spyder187
2007-12-30, 05:16
I have a quick question that is related.

My Squeezebox now says press/hold the brightness button in order to update the firmware. Unfortunately with my universal remote, it won't register a "brightness button" so I can't seem to update the firmware.

First question: which button is the brightness button (I've already tried the channel +/- buttons).

Second: Does the Harmony remotes have a brightness button?

My original remote is broken and I'm considering a harmaony remote now if they can allow me to update the firmware.

Thanks for any replies!

radish
2008-01-01, 20:33
Harmony doesn't have a Brightness button but it allows you to program the soft buttons at the top to be anything, I use one of those for Brightness.

peterw
2008-01-01, 20:45
I haven't ever used this, but you might want to consider
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?AutomaticFirmwareUpgrade

-Peter