PDA

View Full Version : Collating music to a central library

OffBeatMammal
2007-12-29, 17:15
Not really a Slim question, but smart folks here have probably hit the issue before.

I have music collected over the years on a couple of PCs and an external hard drive. My wife has some on her PC.

We're combining everything onto a central Windows Home Server and are looking for a way to copy everything across but weed out duplicates (and ideally tidy up file structures, tags etc as we go)

Don't mind if it doesn't move DRM'd music (I have about 20 iTunes tracks from the recent "Song of the Day" promo but that's it for DRM) though it would be nice if it can play them via the SB3 to move them (or just rip out the infection and copy them!)

I'm guessing it'll need to be some sort of client app. Would be really neat if it can handle ripping new CDs to the WHS archive automatically

Once we've got it sorted out then we can stop storing music locally on the PCs and just point the various iTunes/WMP instances to the server and only sync music to the laptops/phones/iPod/Zune when we're travelling

rdcole
2007-12-30, 08:55
I use Media Monkey for this. Its fuzzy logic feature is neat in that it can find duplicate files that are not named the same.

I use the file name and move function to move all the music to the central server. My Linux based the Slimserver.
I have a dedicated USB drive as a backup drive that I take weekly backups of the music files just in case. I have been collecting MP3 files for almost 10 years now and I don't want to loose any of them.

Not really a Slim question, but smart folks here have probably hit the issue before.

I have music collected over the years on a couple of PCs and an external hard drive. My wife has some on her PC.

We're combining everything onto a central Windows Home Server and are looking for a way to copy everything across but weed out duplicates (and ideally tidy up file structures, tags etc as we go)

Don't mind if it doesn't move DRM'd music (I have about 20 iTunes tracks from the recent "Song of the Day" promo but that's it for DRM) though it would be nice if it can play them via the SB3 to move them (or just rip out the infection and copy them!)

I'm guessing it'll need to be some sort of client app. Would be really neat if it can handle ripping new CDs to the WHS archive automatically

Once we've got it sorted out then we can stop storing music locally on the PCs and just point the various iTunes/WMP instances to the server and only sync music to the laptops/phones/iPod/Zune when we're travelling

OffBeatMammal
2007-12-30, 17:19
I use Media Monkey for this. Its fuzzy logic feature is neat in that it can find duplicate files that are not named the same.

I use the file name and move function to move all the music to the central server. My Linux based the Slimserver.
I have a dedicated USB drive as a backup drive that I take weekly backups of the music files just in case. I have been collecting MP3 files for almost 10 years now and I don't want to loose any of them.

Looks great so far... been playing with tidying up tags locally. Couldn't find the File Name and Move function to sync to the server (Windows Home Server) - is that a premium option? Hopefully it's smart enough to take the "best" tagged version (would be nice if it flagged the highest quality on a de-duplicate so I knew which to dump without having to check!)

One day there will be a reliable auto-tagger!