PDA

View Full Version : A better player for slimserver??

lreinstein
2007-12-29, 07:48
I am a newbie to the SB3. In the past i was using iTunes with airport express.

What I notice is that the Slimserver web based software is not quite as easy to use or as capable as itunes. Using my windows PC, with slimserver I can not monitor the timing or progress of the track, i can not easily type in a few letters of a composer or artist and get a view of all songs by the artist etc.

Can I operate the Squeezebox/slimserver using a different Windows based player that would be more similar to what iTunes offers?

or perhaps i am not using slimserver properly.

thanks

Larry

davep
2007-12-29, 09:24
I am a newbie to the SB3. In the past i was using iTunes with airport express.

What I notice is that the Slimserver web based software is not quite as easy to use or as capable as itunes. Using my windows PC, with slimserver I can not monitor the timing or progress of the track, i can not easily type in a few letters of a composer or artist and get a view of all songs by the artist etc.

Can I operate the Squeezebox/slimserver using a different Windows based player that would be more similar to what iTunes offers?

or perhaps i am not using slimserver properly.

thanks

Larry

A couple of suggestions for your requests - 1. try the Fishbone skin (I assume you are running a variant of the Slimserver 6.5 release rather than the 7.0 beta). This gives a progress bar for the track now playing. The slimfx skin might also be of interest.

2. For a listing of all songs by a particular artist you just select the artist in the web interface and click on All Songs.

3. There is an alternative interface under windows - Moose. I haven't looked at this for some time but it might be interesting to you.

My main advice however would be to stop trying to make SS "like iTunes" and accept it for what it is - a well thought out and developed means of getting the music you want to listen to off of your hard drive and into your stereo. Spending a bit of time getting to know it will pay dividends, especially if you can let go of the iTunes comparisons and let it stand on its own as an equally valid way of doing things.

davep

Phil Leigh
2007-12-29, 09:24
Which version of slimserver are you using? I'm guessing it is 6.x?
You certainly can monitor the progress of a track (track length/remaining time)

You might want to try out Moose ( a very neat Windows App ) as a front-end to SlimServer. The way it does certain things may be to your liking.

http://www.rusticrhino.com/drlovegrove/

lreinstein
2007-12-29, 09:55
A couple of suggestions for your requests - 1. try the Fishbone skin (I assume you are running a variant of the Slimserver 6.5 release rather than the 7.0 beta). This gives a progress bar for the track now playing. The slimfx skin might also be of interest.

2. For a listing of all songs by a particular artist you just select the artist in the web interface and click on All Songs.

3. There is an alternative interface under windows - Moose. I haven't looked at this for some time but it might be interesting to you.

My main advice however would be to stop trying to make SS "like iTunes" and accept it for what it is - a well thought out and developed means of getting the music you want to listen to off of your hard drive and into your stereo. Spending a bit of time getting to know it will pay dividends, especially if you can let go of the iTunes comparisons and let it stand on its own as an equally valid way of doing things.

davep

Thanks for your help. You are probably right, but I have been using iTunes for so long it will take me a while.

you said
For a listing of all songs by a particular artist you just select the artist in the web interface and click on All Songs.

when i select "artist", there is no place to type in the name of the artist. or am i missing something? there only seems to be an alphabet.
larry

Phil Leigh
2007-12-29, 09:59
Thanks for your help. You are probably right, but I have been using iTunes for so long it will take me a while.

you said
For a listing of all songs by a particular artist you just select the artist in the web interface and click on All Songs.

when i select "artist", there is no place to type in the name of the artist. or am i missing something? there only seems to be an alphabet.
larry

You need to "search" and type in the artist name there...

lreinstein
2007-12-29, 10:00
do you advise swithching to 7.0??

Phil Leigh
2007-12-29, 10:08
do you advise swithching to 7.0??

Well I greatly prefer 7.0... You should try it and see for yourself!

aubuti
2007-12-29, 14:35
While I agree with the comments about not trying to make slimserver bend to your familiarity with iTunes, you might consider trying the slimfx skin, which is organized very much like iTunes. Details are in this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=32422

lreinstein
2007-12-30, 06:36
Well I greatly prefer 7.0... You should try it and see for yourself!

if i upgrade to 7.0 will i have to make changes? will it work with the current skin? (fishbone?)

davep
2007-12-30, 07:19
if i upgrade to 7.0 will i have to make changes? will it work with the current skin? (fishbone?)

Fishbone works just fine with 7.0 and actually addresses one issue that some have had with the new default 7.0 skin, the reduced amount of info shown on the library and playlist screens at any one time. And with the new, improved 7.0 functionality, you can drag and drop to reorder songs in the playlist.

davep

moley6knipe
2007-12-31, 07:16
I think I'm right in saying that when you upgrade to 7 from 6.5.x your preferences (i.e. settings) aren't ported over so you'll have to note them down and then re-enter them (I just did Print Screens and pasted them into a Word doc).

File locations/names change when moving from 6 to 7 under Windows, and the way you instal SlimServer as a service changes too. None of it's nasty, though! 7 is a great improvement over 6 IMHO.

snarlydwarf
2007-12-31, 09:12
I think I'm right in saying that when you upgrade to 7 from 6.5.x your preferences (i.e. settings) aren't ported over so you'll have to note them down and then re-enter them (I just did Print Screens and pasted them into a Word doc).

Your settings should be preserved. It may miss a few things, but it does a pretty good job.

moley6knipe
2007-12-31, 11:57
Ah yes. It's going from an early version of SC7 to a later one, when the method of running as a service changed. I remember now!

Shredder
2007-12-31, 15:38
Moose and slimfx sound cool. Is there a comparable program for Linux (Thecus NAS specifically)?

aubuti
2007-12-31, 16:50
Moose and slimfx sound cool. Is there a comparable program for Linux (Thecus NAS specifically)?
slimfx isn't a program, it's a skin, just like the default skin, Fishbone, Nokia770, Touch, Handheld, etc. According to that thread I pointed you to, it's written in Flash and therefore available on Linux, Windows, and OSX. With a Thecus all you need to do is make sure that you have write permission in the part of the slimserver installation that holds the skins (usually in the HTML directory under slimserver, eg, /usr/local/slimserver/HTML).

Note that the Flash requirement applies to whatever computer you are using for the slimserver web UI. You *don't* need Flash on the Thecus. But you do need to copy the skin files to the Thecus.