PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox and Pandora

broadwayblue
2007-12-28, 21:36
I just ordered a SB a couple days ago and I'm looking forward to checking it out. But I'm a little confused about how I can use it with Pandora. I've been using Pandora for quite a while now and it's always been a free service. So I'm not sure what the SD site is talking about when it says that I can use Pandora free with my SB for 30 days. Do I have to pay beyond that point???

SuperQ
2007-12-28, 22:19
Slimdevices offers a free 30 day trial of the "full" pandora account that is required for the non-web-based pandora service.

The free version on the web is ad supported, which doesn't work on the squeezebox. :)

broadwayblue
2007-12-28, 22:34
Slimdevices offers a free 30 day trial of the "full" pandora account that is required for the non-web-based pandora service.

The free version on the web is ad supported, which doesn't work on the squeezebox. :)

Oh, that's not what I was hoping to hear. I get what you're saying about the web version being as supported...but the ads aren't between songs. I could just connect my PC sound to my audio system and I no longer need the SB.

SuperQ
2007-12-28, 22:48
Oh, that's not what I was hoping to hear. I get what you're saying about the web version being as supported...but the ads aren't between songs. I could just connect my PC sound to my audio system and I no longer need the SB.

Exactly, the ads are on the web page, which isn't visible on the squeezebox's screen. :)

The pandora service is $36/year, which to me isn't a whole lot of money. I use it with the 7.0 beta so I don't have to change my squeezeboxes to connect to squeezenetwork.

Give the squeezebox a try, they have a 30 day return for any reason policy, so if you don't like it you can send it back.

I'd give it an 80% chance that you'll not want to return it after using it. :)

broadwayblue
2007-12-28, 23:09
Exactly, the ads are on the web page, which isn't visible on the squeezebox's screen. :)

The pandora service is $36/year, which to me isn't a whole lot of money. I use it with the 7.0 beta so I don't have to change my squeezeboxes to connect to squeezenetwork.

Give the squeezebox a try, they have a 30 day return for any reason policy, so if you don't like it you can send it back.

I'd give it an 80% chance that you'll not want to return it after using it. :)

I'm definitely gonna give it a try. I hope you're right about the odds of me liking it. Any tips or threads on how to get the most of of it?

broadwayblue
2007-12-28, 23:26
Do you have any idea what format/bitrate the music is through Pandora? How does it sound through the SB?

SuperQ
2007-12-29, 00:40
It is 128k CBR according to my SB3. I've found it just fine for casual listening. I play my local CD ripped FLAC files for serious listening with my Transporter.

brucegrr
2007-12-29, 01:08
36.00 a year and they will take it out at 9.00 a quarter if you wish.

I think it is the best deal going as far as internet music goes. We listen to it often.

The computers can be off and you can still listen to music via Squeeze Network/Pandora

broadwayblue
2008-01-03, 19:25
Ok, just opened up my SB3 and set it up. It is a very nice looking unit and sounds great too. I'm just getting started playing around with it, but I'm liking it so far.

Is there a way to access the slimserver software from a different computer on my network? I'd like to be able to control it from my laptop, which I keep in the living room (where the SB is located.) I'm pretty sure this is possible, but not sure how. Thanks!

brucegrr
2008-01-03, 20:00
Yep

http://localhost:9000/

replace localhost with the ip address for the computer slimserver is on.

Bruce

broadwayblue
2008-01-03, 22:56
Yep

http://localhost:9000/

replace localhost with the ip address for the computer slimserver is on.

Bruce

Thanks for the info...I'll try it out.

thing-fish
2008-01-04, 13:53
Is there a way to access the slimserver software from a different computer on my network? I'd like to be able to control it from my laptop, which I keep in the living room (where the SB is located.) I'm pretty sure this is possible, but not sure how. Thanks!

It goes a step better than that: not only can you get to it from other computers on your network, but you can set up Slimserver / SqueezeCenter so that it's visible from the internet. Then then you can get to your music anywhere. I listen to my collection from work every day! And you don't have to have a Squeezebox at all these locations, you can use the SoftSqueeze application that's available right from the web interface, or even use any streaming-capable player. It rules.

I was running SlimServer for several years before I bought the hardware device. It's a really great piece of software (and the hardware makes it oh so sweeter!)

broadwayblue
2008-01-04, 13:56
It goes a step better than that: not only can you get to it from other computers on your network, but you can set up Slimserver / SqueezeCenter so that it's visible from the internet. Then then you can get to your music anywhere. I listen to my collection from work every day! And you don't have to have a Squeezebox at all these locations, you can use the SoftSqueeze application that's available right from the web interface, or even use any streaming-capable player. It rules.

I was running SlimServer for several years before I bought the hardware device. It's a really great piece of software (and the hardware makes it oh so sweeter!)

That is very cool. Is that much harder to set up then accessing Slimserver from my laptop or another PC within the same LAN?

thing-fish
2008-01-04, 14:15
That is very cool. Is that much harder to set up then accessing Slimserver from my laptop or another PC within the same LAN?

I just opened up the appropriate ports (3483 and 9000) on my router and that was it. That is insecure though. Check out this Wiki page for fuller instructions. http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?page_name=ConnectingRemotely&revision_id=-1