PDA

View Full Version : New SB3. Hardware problem?

jonbauer
2007-12-28, 10:14
Hi All,

Just got my new SB3 from Crutchfield about 1.5 weeks ago. I'm concerned about one hardware related thing...

If I jiggle the power cord in the back of the unit, the power switches on and off on the SB. Seems like a bad connection internally on the SB. I'm guessing that this isn't expected behavior...

Any tips before I call Crutchfield to try and exchange this device?

- Thanx
- Jon

Phil Leigh
2007-12-28, 10:32
I have the same problem - I decided that the best thing to do was to not jiggle the cable...

In normal use this isn't a problem.

jonbauer
2007-12-28, 10:34
I have the same problem - I decided that the best thing to do was to not jiggle the cable...

In normal use this isn't a problem.

Ha! Agreed - but since I just bought it, should I exchange it for one that does NOT do that???

- Jon

Phil Leigh
2007-12-28, 11:07
I believe there is evidence to suggest that quite a few do this...so by all means exchange it, but be prepared to have to go through a few...

:o)

snarlydwarf
2007-12-28, 11:23
I thought it ended up being some sort of tolerance issue with the power connector itself, not internal to the SB at all...

Ie, the male connector would sometimes be on the "small" ::cough:: end of the range, and the female would be on the "large" end... (Why does this sound like some obscene joke?)

Phil Leigh
2007-12-28, 11:46
(ignores dubious connecter joke...)
Yes it is a tolerance thing between the PSU and the SB.
In the end I put some "Blu-Tack" around the outside of the connector. That seems to do the job.

jonbauer
2007-12-28, 11:47
So are you guys saying that this is a common issue... Do ALL SB3s have this issue, or am I just unlucky?

- Jon

snarlydwarf
2007-12-28, 12:39
You're just unlucky or you need to press the plug in harder to make sure it is fully seated.