PDA

View Full Version : wireless sq3 clipping and dropping

kkken
2007-12-27, 20:47
Hey,
i've been a long time Sqbox user, and i just went wireless for the second time. I have a Apple extreme, and a mini mac, and sqbox 3 wireless along with my Notebook, all within 30 feet from each other. At present i'm sitting listening to virgin radio on both the sqb3 and my notebook, well actually listening to the stream on the notebook as the sqb3 is overrunning, clipping and then just dropping out. I didn't have the problem when everything was wired..... it doesn't happen all the time but when it does i have not been able to figure out what fixes it yet, but something get's fixed and it runs ok for about a week.

any suggestions ?

Cheers
Ken

darwinl
2007-12-27, 22:13
What version of the Slim Server are you running?

My AP Extreme via wireless was skipping for a little the other day until I loaded the latest version of the Slim Center Software. I went ahead and did 7.0a and all returned to normal.

You could do the latest 6.5.x nightly build as well.

Also make sure you let AppleUpdate give you the latest firmware so the base station has the newest software.

Hope that helps

kkken
2007-12-27, 22:29
server is running

SlimServer Version: 6.5.4 - 12568 - Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8S165) - EN - utf8

player is running

Player Firmware Version: 81

and the extreme is current at 7.2.1

thou other stations do not behave the same ...

SuperQ
2007-12-27, 22:37
Fist test:

Run the network test plugin and press the down arrow to see how high you can get the kbps number before it starts to drop below 100%.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsSecondGuide

Next try changing the channel of the airport, or setting it to 802.11g only mode. You will only want to use 2.4ghz channels 1, 6, or 11. 1 tends to be a good choice for avoiding some types of RF noise, but it's all dependent on what noise you have in your area.

kkken
2007-12-28, 00:01
i've done that and the wireless strength is 95 to 100% ...

i work in the networking world, presently in the wireless part and need to put will put a wireless sniffer on it ....

but then when i listen to my own mp3's everything is ok, and if i listen to kfog everything is ok....

I know my notebook probably has a HUGH buffer to compensate for jitter, or lose on the network ... i'm going back to wire for now until i get my wireless sniffer working

cheers
ken

SuperQ
2007-12-28, 00:20
i've done that and the wireless strength is 95 to 100% ...

i work in the networking world, presently in the wireless part and need to put will put a wireless sniffer on it ....

but then when i listen to my own mp3's everything is ok, and if i listen to kfog everything is ok....

I know my notebook probably has a HUGH buffer to compensate for jitter, or lose on the network ... i'm going back to wire for now until i get my wireless sniffer working

cheers
ken

Hrm, I wasn't talking about signal strength, I was talking about the network test plugin.

There is an advanced option I think in 6.5, know for sure in 7.0 that allows you to force proxying mp3 streams through the slimserver.. that could help if the internet radio stream is flaky.

Which wireless sniffer are you using? I keep debating if I should spend the money on a Wi-Spy 2.4x. Oh, man, it looks like the price went up again! $400