PDA

View Full Version : Music Library Problem

DeWayne
2007-12-27, 19:15
I have slimserver set to look in my flac folder. I also have a mp3 folder on the same drive. When I scan for new music or if I clear and scan, slimserver keeps showing both the flac and mp3 version. This never used to happen. The only thing that I have done recently is install itunes. Could this be the problem.

Slimserver 6.5.5

Thanks,
DeWayne

mherger
2007-12-28, 00:55
> install itunes. Could this be the problem.

I don't know how you managed to only see one of the two, but iTunes can definitely be the problem here. I guess iTunes only sees your MP3 files. Even if you didn't include the mp3 folder in SlimServer, it will read iTunes' library to find them. Disable iTunes integration with SS and run another full scan. Do you still see the mp3 files?

Michael

DeWayne
2007-12-28, 15:22
I disabled the Itunes plugin, rebooted and run a clear playlist and scan. Both the flac and mp3 files are still showing up in the playlist. Is there another switch I need to look for?
DeWayne

JJZolx
2007-12-28, 15:29
I disabled the Itunes plugin, rebooted and run a clear playlist and scan. Both the flac and mp3 files are still showing up in the playlist. Is there another switch I need to look for?
DeWayne

How are folders on your drive organized and what is designated as your music folder? If both the flac folder and the mp3 folder are below the root music folder, then both will be seen.

If that's not the case, is there any chance that you've created a shortcut from somewhere in the flac directory tree that points to the mp3 folder?

DeWayne
2007-12-28, 15:46
I have a dedicated internal drive for music. The folders are in the root and listed f:\eac and f:\mp3. I've had it this way long before the itunes with no problem. I don't see anything in the flac directory pointing to the mp3's Could it be a bug in 6.5.5?
Thanks again,

JJZolx
2007-12-28, 16:13
I have a dedicated internal drive for music. The folders are in the root and listed f:\eac and f:\mp3. I've had it this way long before the itunes with no problem. I don't see anything in the flac directory pointing to the mp3's Could it be a bug in 6.5.5?
Thanks again,

What's your Music Folder set to?

If it's the root of the F:\ drive then it would be _expected_ to include the mp3 folder as well as the flac folder in your library. If that's the case, just change it to F:\flac and run a clear/rescan. If it's set to F:\flac, then something else is going on.

DeWayne
2007-12-28, 17:00
It is set to f:\flac. There must be something I'm missing.

JJZolx
2007-12-28, 17:30
It is set to f:\flac. There must be something I'm missing.

Are any of your playlists pointing into the mp3 directory? I'm not certain how it works, as I don't use playlists very much, but I suspect it may scan the whole tree below a file pointed at by a playlist.

DeWayne
2007-12-28, 17:52
If I browse playlists (slimserver) it shows two playlists that I created and 5 or 6 itunes playlists that I did not. Now if I look in my f:\flac\playlists I only see the two I created not the itunes ones.

Not sure where it is finding the itunes playlists or how to remove them.

JJZolx
2007-12-28, 18:38
If I browse playlists (slimserver) it shows two playlists that I created and 5 or 6 itunes playlists that I did not. Now if I look in my f:\flac\playlists I only see the two I created not the itunes ones.

(C'mon guys, someone chime in here - iTunes and playlists are not my forté).

Maybe it keeps the iTunes playlists in the database. If you browse Playlists and click on one of the iTunes lists, doesn't it give you an option to Delete it?

DeWayne
2007-12-28, 18:48
I was looking for that but all I see is play or add playlist.

JJZolx
2007-12-28, 19:06
I was looking for that but all I see is play or add playlist.

If you click the playlist name I think you should see a 'Delete' button and be able to rename the playlist. Then again, maybe it's not the same for iTunes imported playlists as it is for file based playlists.

I'm also a little suprised that a clear/rescan type of rescan doesn't blow these away. I thought that everything in the database was deleted with such a scan.

mherger
2007-12-28, 21:54
> If you click the playlist name I think you should see a 'Delete' button
> and be able to rename the playlist. Then again, maybe it's not the same
> for iTunes imported playlists as it is for file based playlists.

iTunes playlists can't neither be edited nor deleted. But they shouldn't show up unless you use iTunes integration.

> I'm also a little suprised that a clear/rescan type of rescan doesn't
> blow these away. I thought that everything in the database was deleted
> with such a scan.

It definitely should.

Michael

DeWayne
2007-12-29, 06:18
> iTunes playlists can't neither be edited nor deleted. But they shouldn't show up unless you use iTunes integration.
[color=blue]
Michael

When You say Itunes integrations, do you mean iTunes plugin? I have unchecked that, restarted and performed a system clear and scan and they mp3's still show.

Maybe I should try going back to 6.5.4 and see if anything changes.

mherger
2007-12-30, 01:10
> When You say Itunes integrations, do you mean iTunes plugin? I have
> unchecked that, restarted and performed a system clear and scan and
> they mp3's still show.

But not the iTunes playlists? Ok, do you have any other playlists or links, shortcuts etc. pointing from one folder structure to the other?

Michael

DeWayne
2007-12-30, 09:48
None that I can find. If I look in slimserver and browse playlists there are two playlist that I created with Flac files. There are about 6 itunes playlist that I did not create that are made up of Mp3's. If I use explorer and look in the folder f:\flac\playlists there are only the two playlists that I created containing flac files.

frankL
2008-01-06, 06:40
I have a similar problem.

I installed SqueezeCenter, selected "no" when it asked me if I wanted to use itunes, but it scans my itunes music anyway. I wind up with two copies of a lot of my music

Here's how my music folder is organized:
- c:\music\lossless (flac files)
- c:\music\converted lossless (converted flac files for itunes/my ipod)
- c:\music\mp3 music (mp3 music used by itunes and SqueezeBox)

I have a shortcut to the "mp3" folder in the "lossless" folder, so when I tell SqueezeBox to look for my music in c:\music\lossless it finds all of my music.

This never happened in the old version of slimserver.

frankL
2008-01-06, 07:17
I figured it out. I went to 'settings' 'extras' and disabled the iTunes plug-in. Hope that helps.